corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build
Blandy

User status: Offline
1st Apr 17 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cracking read great project
dewismotorsport

2nd Apr 17 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Blandy
Cracking read great project

Cheers mate
dewismotorsport

3rd Apr 17 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few more pictures from the race

Carrying on the mods/repairs, fitted a new driver mirror to replace the smashed one, added a O ring to the rear view mirror ball and socket joint, has stiffened it a bit so will hopefully stop it tilting down (extra weight from the wide angle mirror), fitted a earth lead up into the bay from rear battery earth point to try and help the lazy starting, I think it's the battery just hasn't quite got the start up current engine needs due to the charger being on, it struggles at times.
Made some front and rear door cards to hide the holes and neaten the look up, used 3mm foamex and stuck on with double sided foam tape

dewismotorsport

3rd Apr 17 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last few of race day (I promise) and a video (off my laptop screen as my WiFi is still down)

First time at Donington Park GP, just starting to get some heat into the old semi slicks on the cold damp track (dry only on racing line) and chasing down the Army drivers 480bhp AWD R32 Skyline GTR before the high pressure oil feed line to the oil cooler started leaking and eventually span me off into the gravel.
https://youtu.be/zxk-IezXFAg
dewismotorsport

5th Apr 17 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So after a very wet qualifying the Toyo T1R's just weren't up to the job and come as a E rated wet tyre so I wanted something much better

So treated the car to some A rated uniroyal Rainsport 3's, which are imo the best wet tyre on the list of tyres were allowed to race on, whipped them on and balanced them up

Few extras bits I've bought, magnetic sump plug, cheap pit stop timer, gauge holder, aero catches for the boot lid (boot has to be openable) and a air temp sensor gauge so I can keep an eye on my inlet temps

Dropped the oil and change the filter and got some 1/2" bsp hoses made up, had to make a fitting as they didn't sell one that has the thread that fits the block

Made a boss for the sensor and welded it on

And all fitted
dewismotorsport

12th Apr 17 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finished fitting the gauge for the intake temps

Bought myself a laptimer, went for the Pitking GPS LT1 which has a built in 10HZ GPS and has features like thumbs up and down for fast and slow laps and has a dash mounted beacon so no pit wall beacon needed. Made a bracket and fitted it in line of view

Jed D

15th Apr 17 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

amazing this thing
dewismotorsport

27th Apr 17 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been doing the last few jobs before the race on Saturday at Silverstone national circuit.
Got picked up at Donington scrutineering due to not being able to open my boot so fitted some aero catches

Made myself a cold air feed for the air filter, bit of 2" tapered alloy tube onto a plate

Riveted in place

Loaded the car up and set off at 2315 and arrived for mapping at Courtenay sport at 0420 few hours sleep and up again to unload

So the car decided it didn't want to talk via the obd port, I knew it previously worked as that's how I found the immobiliser fault, after several hours Matt had tried everything he could and even bench tested the ecu. I then suggested cutting the immobiliser wire feed I'd added as that's the only thing to have changed and it worked first time.

We'd lost a lot of time so only did a handful of runs just to check the map was safe and luckily it was, the smaller pulley had leaned the map out nicely to 11.9 on the lambda. Turns out my oem wideband sensor must be knackered as was reading 10.0 at WOT so I'll order a new one.

Matt and Jon were really impressed with the intercooler setup having never seen one before and we're certain it would improve the intake temps which was good positive feedback. We did notice that some of the silicones suck in on idle due to the charger screws creating a vacuum and sacking against a closed throttle body but once revved the positive pressure blew them out fully again. Doesn't effect how it runs but will make some solid pipes up with just a few short joiners in future.

So results were 267bhp and 226 lbs ft of torque at the crank which is exactly what I wanted as that now gives me 230whp and 198bhp per ton so I have a little to play with on the weight side but right up to the 200whp per ton Class B limit.
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Apr 17 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your not on standard internals are you?
dewismotorsport

30th Apr 17 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
your not on standard internals are you?

Yeah standard at the minute
dewismotorsport

30th Apr 17 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So race day at Silverstone national circuit and the Royal Navy and Royal Marines best turn out so far

The Armed forces pit village

Qualifying went alright, was stuck behind faster cars in a straight line but slow on brakes and cornering which was annoying.

Into the race and after a awful start due to lots of wheel spin I dropped 4 places but fought back to re gain them. Struggling to get heat into the rear tyres I cut too much of copse corner curb at about 100mph sending me a bit sideways, I was expecting a bit more and put too much lock on and got a tank slapper on, pinning the throttle didn't pull me straight and next minute I'm heading backwards into the tyre wall.

Cars a bit of a mess at the back but my bodyshop sponsor says it's sortable so it will go again

Didn't let it ruin our weekend and chilled out with some ps4, bbq and beers

Car looked good before the crash at least

You tube video of the race and crash
https://youtu.be/N8QPGdumyOY
dewismotorsport

3rd May 17 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So back in work Tuesday and had a few hours on it after work, stripped the front down. Had to straighten the bumper bar corner, metal behind, bonnet and wing. Replaced the headlight and cleaned the bumper up, re set the camber and tracking and it's good to go again. Noticed the cv gaiter has split so will do that at a later date.

Hopefully get it the back sorted in the next few weeks. Just need a tailgate and rear lights.
Stu_22

3rd May 17 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unlucky looked like you had caught it then bang.

Hope the repair isn't to costly
chris_uk
Premium Member

4th May 17 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rods like to vacate the block at about 270/275 bhp so be careful..

i would install new rods asap if i was you.
dewismotorsport

4th May 17 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu_22
Unlucky looked like you had caught it then bang.

Hope the repair isn't to costly

Yeah think I was expecting it to go more sideways so put too much lock on and planting the throttle didn't help pull it straight.

Won't cost too much thankfully as I have a bodyshop sponsor and I've been donated some parts
dewismotorsport

4th May 17 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
rods like to vacate the block at about 270/275 bhp so be careful..

i would install new rods asap if i was you.

Yeah heard they don't like much more power, tbh the engine is disposable I have spares but do need to get my arse in gear with building the forged block
dewismotorsport

11th May 17 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few hours spent on the car ticking off a few jobs, had split a outer cv joint gaiter so replaced that and roughly reset the tracking and camber

Managed to rip both bumper mounts off going into the gravel so made some plates up and modded the wing mounts to take a rivnut to easy fitting and removal

Ran the last race without the supertrapp (removed for rolling road as the probe goes up the exhaust) on and hated it, could barely hear the charger over the droning exhaust note. I added 4 extra plates to compensate for the extra power. Gave it a spray with zinc base coat then high temp top coat

Car goes to Nuffield accident repair in poole tomorrow for my mate Nick to work hos magic and see what's salvageable before needing to replace panels.
dewismotorsport

13th May 17 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update from the bodyshop, after a few hours work they've managed to pull the panels straight, just need a bit of fine tweaking, a touch of filler and some paint and it's good to go! Just need to find a rear bumper in europa blue and some rear lights if anyone knows of some going cheap?

Some pro photos from Silverstone

dewismotorsport

13th May 17 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting there, some more fine tweaking to do but not far off

dewismotorsport

30th May 17 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So not touched the car for a while as been waiting on parts to arrive, car left bodyshop like this as needed new rear lights a bumper and bumper bracket to finish the pull out, fill and paint.

New lights turned up and gave the centres a re paint

Got the spare shell in the workshop and attacked it with the grinder and plasma cutter, need to still remove side skirts, other rear quarter and front sections. Also managed to salvage the dash as a spare to cut down and get flocked

Managed to find a europa blue bumper from Torque motors, turned up and had irmsher rear spats on which is a touch, one was broke but luckily it's the opposite to the ones on mine that got smashed so I have a pair now which I can sell for more than I paid for the bumper. The sticker is coming straight off, shame it's got parking sensors but I'll live with them. Got myself some brand new headlights (these will go on the daily and the daily ones on this car), a new charger belt and a new GM rear bumper bracket.

Love how stiff this car is, jack the back up and put it on the axle stand and the opposite side stays perfectly level

So with the 225 semi slicks (wider than road tyres) the back arches have always been tight with the extra width from the et37 and shims so while it's getting ready for paint I decided to cut and flare the rear arches some more

Before: 20mm

After: 30mm

While I was in there I removed the rear tow eye and cut all excess metal to allow air flow out of the rear arch both sides, at some point I will make a full width rear diffuser

Bumper test fitted, rear panel needs some more tweeks to pull it out to suit better but it's starting to look like a car again thankfully
djgritt
Premium Member

1st Jun 17 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brilliant work on the repairs.

Looks well on the track too!
dewismotorsport

1st Jun 17 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Brilliant work on the repairs.

Looks well on the track too!

Cheers it's getting there now, last few bits before it goes back for final pull outs, fill and paint

So that's the donor car all chopped up, got myself a good stash of spare panels and and a few random parts that may come in handy

Daimo B

14th Jun 17 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep it up, like watching the videos

<<  13    14    15    16  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dewismotorsport's supercharged Astra coupe 2.2 race car build 24 database queries in 0.2062750 seconds