corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless Network Reciever - Which Converts to LAN ports

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless Network Reciever - Which Converts to LAN ports
NovaGTE2

User status: Offline
6th Mar 13 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless Network Reciever - Which Converts to LAN ports; Can you get such a thing

Basically I am doing a new TV setup; I have a LG smart TV, Sky and just bought a Soundbar with built in Blueray player which also has a LAN port. All of this is going in a false chimney breast so plenty of room to cable it up etc.. But my router is the other side of the house..

So thinking if I can get some sort of switch which can pick up the LAN then have a few ports to I can cable it to the three devices.

Hope that makes sense; and have no idea if what I want to do is possible and not to good with hardware
pow
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless bridge. They normally are shit though, try and hard wire it.
NovaGTE2

6th Mar 13 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats the sort of thing I was thinking about, why are they normally shit tho?
Richie

6th Mar 13 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Homeplugs / powerline adapters ideal for this.
Neo

6th Mar 13 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If set up right and it has enough signal a bridge will do fine for what you need. Normally they are cack due to poor signal and interference.

Although like Pow said if you can hard wire then do.

Out of interest, what is the purpose of network connectivity on the soundbar ?
Richie

6th Mar 13 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put one of these at the router end

http://www.ebuyer.com/367950-zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-3-year-warranty-pla4201-gb0101f

Then one of these in your false chimney breast

http://www.ebuyer.com/337122-zyxel-pla4225-500mbps-powerline-switch-with-4-gigabit-lan-ports-128-bit-aes-pla4225-gb0101f

Will be better than wireless, but nothing can beat running Cat5 if its possible.
NovaGTE2

6th Mar 13 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks all and thanks Richie for those links; they will be spot on. Also think I will get on for my home office aswell as currently got that on wireless

This is the soundbar http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/LG-HLB-34S-Blu-Ray-Home-Cinema-Sound-Bar-with-Subwoofer_i3432.htm

It allows you to access music on your network to play through it; not sure if I will use it for this but whilst its all ripped out I may aswell put it in place
noshua

6th Mar 13 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Far cheaper to cable it up which will be much more reliable, PITA if you have to put it through the floor boards and what not though!
stubs

10th Mar 13 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you not got any old wireless routers knocking about that you could use? Flash it with DD-WRT and configure it to connect to your existing wireless network and bridge the ethernet connections.
I did this recently for my Rasperry Pi and it works perfect, even retains all the settings when power is removed & restored.
John

10th Mar 13 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't just flash DD-WRT onto anything.
stubs

11th Mar 13 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Can't just flash DD-WRT onto anything.

That's right, and I didnt say you could.
I also didn't explain what DD-WRT was.. so I assume that if he can search the internet and find out, then he'll be able to find out if his router (assuming he has an old disused one) is compatible

New Poll