corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Logical explanation to this? (network file transfer speeds)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Logical explanation to this? (network file transfer speeds)
Aaron

User status: Offline
24th Feb 13 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try and be brief.

I have two HP Proliant Micro servers.

- Microserver 1 has 2x virtual servers running on it through ESXi, each configured with a gigabit NIC

- Microserver 2 is setup as a Nas4Free box.

- The two Microservers are both connected to the same gigabit switch via Cat6 cables.

If I remote desktop to one of my virtual servers ("Server01"), "copy" a file from the Nas4Free box via a UNC path/connection, and then paste it onto virtual server's hard drive....i get an average data transfer speed of roughly 58MB/s for a large file (1GB or over)

However, if i UNC to the Nas4Free box from my media centre in the living room (which is connected to the same gigabit switch by a 20m Cat5e cable), and "copy" a file from the Nas4Free box to a share on the same virtual server....the data transfer speeds starts at around the 58/60MB/s speed, but then slows right down to something like 5MB/s. I think it would have eventually ground to a halt tbh, but i got inpatient and cancelled the transfer in the end.

Unless i'm stupidly mistaken, the data i'm sending around the network (when facilitated from the media centre) shouldn't even touch the Cat5c cable...it should be just going from two devices which connect to one another via Cat6.

I should say at this point that the media centre also has a gigabit NIC
John

24th Feb 13 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll get gigabit over cat5 anyway, doesn't have to be cat6.

QoS turned on anywhere?

Actually if I'm reading right it will be going via the cat5 bit of cable, is that section connected at gigabit or 100mb?

[Edited on 24-02-2013 by John]
Aaron

24th Feb 13 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah gigabit over Cat5e was something i was quite sure of, but i thought i'd throw it in the mix just in case.

No QoS to my knowledge, but i'll check
John

24th Feb 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have 2 shares on separate machines opened on your media centre, the file copy goes machine 1>media centre>machine 2.
Aaron

24th Feb 13 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The media centre (connected to the same gigabit switch as the servers upstairs, but by Cat5e) has a gigabit NIC, which is configured to use gigabit only. The media centre is connected to the network socket via a Cat6 cable, but the 20m cable going from that socket to the socket upstairs is Cat5e.

The work which the media centre is doing in the slowdown is to facilitate sending a file from the Nas4Free box to a share on my virtual server. Unless i'm mistaken, the file should go directly from server to server...rather then looping down the Cat5e cable to the media centre from the Nas4Free box, and then punted onto the virtual server's hard drive/share.
Aaron

24th Feb 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you have 2 shares on separate machines opened on your media centre, the file copy goes machine 1>media centre>machine 2.

Ah, i honestly didn't know that
pow
Premium Member

25th Feb 13 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it caches the files to the local hard drive (normally the pagefile drive)

New Poll