corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Mp3 player suggestions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mp3 player suggestions
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Aug 12 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not an ipod. Needs to have decent sound quality. And suggestions?
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's sound quality then Cowon, something like the X7 although it's pretty chunky and the standard interface takes a little while to get use to (but there are a handful of UI mods for it) but it pisses all over an iPod for sound quality.
Otherwise iPod is probably you're best bet but i'd be at least running it with a decent headphone amp to get anything remotely decent out of it; standard amp on an iPod is pretty shocking especially for high load headphones.

Edit - Have a gander on the head-fi.org forums though; plenty of reviews of players from hardcore audiophiles.

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by Dom]
Gary
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amp is not an option. Cant be arsed to carry too much stuff. Ill look at the Cowon stuff
Balling
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What headphones will you be using with it?

Gary
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hispek.com/bose/headphones/bose-quietcomfort-3-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones-with-free-delivery-pd-5396.php?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle_Feed

Unless someone can suggest anything else
Balling
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At that price you can get quite a lot of very capable headphones. Don't think I'd ever consider a pair of those.

Do they need to be noise canceling? That plus the brand is a huge chunk of the price.

Sounding like a broken record here, but try listening to a pair of Grado SR60i or SR80i. They really are superb and very musical. Incredibly comfy as well.

I'd also be looking at B&W.

As for your original question, I'd say Dom has the answer.
If an external amp is out of the question your options really are quite limited and you're never going to get the ease of use / sound quality compromise an iPod with an external amp is going to give.

Gary
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want noise cancelling really
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
http://www.hispek.com/bose/headphones/bose-quietcomfort-3-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones-with-free-delivery-pd-5396.php?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle_Feed

Unless someone can suggest anything else

Do you really need N.C headphones? Unless you're sitting on trains/buses for long periods then i would reconsider and go with a decent set of IEM's (Review thread on HeadFi) or over backs/ear as N.C does change the audio a fair amount (obviously some manufacturers have 'perfected' this better than others but i find it's still noticeable).
Alternatively a decent set of custom moulds would block out majority of outside sound but they'd cost a reasonable amount more.

As said, get on HeadFi and start looking around as it sounds like your willing to spend a reasonable amount for sound quality.
Gary
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really do want NC. Want to listen to audiobooks, music, youtube etc while our lass has the TV on.

New Poll