corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iphone 4 screen & back change?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iphone 4 screen & back change?
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 12 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My other half managed to smash her screen whilst out the other night, I looked on ebay at the replacement screens and came across these 'conversion' kits.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=230740299790

Not this actual one, but a kit like this to convert it to white, some also come with replacement frame's to as mines all scratched. How easy is it to do looked on youtube and there are some full video tutorials and looks fairly straight forward, but any one tried or done one? The screens be good as the originals?
John

3rd Feb 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not difficult to do, just loads of tiny screws, if you remember where they all came from it's just time consuming.

3rd party replacement parts defeat the purpose of an iphone though, I would take insurance out and claim a new one instead.
SXI - Matt

3rd Feb 12 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's not difficult to do, just loads of tiny screws, if you remember where they all came from it's just time consuming.

3rd party replacement parts defeat the purpose of an iphone though, I would take insurance out and claim a new one instead.

With out sounding stupid why does it defeat the purpose? As it's still and iphone? They come in white this is just the white front & back
John

3rd Feb 12 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An iPhone is an iPhone largely because of the materials and build quality, 3rd party parts, especially screens and bits of aluminium aren't the same.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Feb 12 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have put replacement backsides on quite a few 4's and they are never as nice quality and finish as the original.

The white ones seem the worst and the colour is never spot on. Always has a yellow or blue tinge. Also feels more like plastic than glass, so sure it will scratch more easily.

Only seen one with a third party screen and though the fit was great the colours were off and the surface somehow didn't feel as smooth as the original.

Of course, you will probably find different quality replicas...

A2H GO

3rd Feb 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, I can usually do a screen replacment in around 20 mins. The 6 screws down the insides with washers holding the screen to the frame don't need to come all the way out, just loosen them.

I've yet to come across an aftermarket screen that matches the quality of a genuine one. Every now and again you'll get someone who's stripped a genuine one and selling the screen separately on eBay, hard to spot the difference though.

I bought one and the picture had the black prox sensor and advertised as genuine, when it came it had the white grill...the guy wouldn't take it back so just opened a dispute and got a refund straight away.

New Poll