corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tablets - for reading PDFS

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tablets - for reading PDFS
Simon

User status: Offline
10th Jan 12 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This year I begin my final qualifications and have a lot of reading to do. I've managed to get hold of most of the texts I need as PDF files. I can't stand doing any substantial reading on a pc or laptop screen so wondering about tablets. I don't really think I need anything special or expensive so nothing like an ipad. I've read that Kindles which seem fairly cheap support PDFs, is that right, do they do it well, support images etc and remember where you left off? I can't see anything about a definite release date of the fire which also looks like it would be good.

Any suggestions?
Gary
Premium Member

10th Jan 12 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't use kindle.

Blackberry one is going cheap at the mo, dunno about pdfs tho.

Failing that, anything android based
Dom

10th Jan 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kindle is your best bet for reading due to the e-ink display (monochrome displays). But if you're after a tablet rather than e-book then have a look at http://www.futeko.com/products/TAB007.php which is getting pretty decent reviews considering the price (only downside is the screens resolution); good thread on OCuk HERE.

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Wouldn't use kindle.

Why do you say that? E-ink displays are a lot better for reading than any LCD/TFT based screen.

[Edited on 10-01-2012 by Dom]
John

10th Jan 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the pdf.

If it's something that will resize well then a kindle, for reading a kindle is better than anything with an LCD display, wouldn't in a million years pick a playbook over that.

If they won't resize easily, or loads of graphs etc, get whatever you can find with as big a screen and as high resolution as possible.
LeeM

10th Jan 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt there a 7" htc on the market at the minute going cheap?
Gary
Premium Member

10th Jan 12 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Kindle is your best bet for reading due to the e-ink display (monochrome displays). But if you're after a tablet rather than e-book then have a look at http://www.futeko.com/products/TAB007.php which is getting pretty decent reviews considering the price (only downside is the screens resolution); good thread on OCuk HERE.

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Wouldn't use kindle.

Why do you say that? E-ink displays are a lot better for reading than any LCD/TFT based screen.

[Edited on 10-01-2012 by Dom]

Images etc. As john said, it wont handle them well.
John

10th Jan 12 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what they are, it handles images fine, just if a pdf is in a4 for instance, it's a right pita if it's not just text.

If it's mostly text with the odd graph it's probably fine.

It's the screen size and resolution i'm talking about, which will be the same on anything similarly sized.
whitter45

10th Jan 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know you have said no to iPads but they handle PDF excellently and you can store them in your iBooks
Simon

10th Jan 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think most of the PDFs are properly text generated, as in you can highlight the text rather than the text being a flat image. Does that mean they will read/scale better?
John

10th Jan 12 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's text like that you'll be able to (very easily) convert to a format that the kindle likes.

If you get the keyboard one you'd even be able to take notes.

A million times better than an ipad if you will be doing a lot of reading.
Simon

12th Jan 12 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm interested in maybe the Kindle fire or seeing what the new google tablet looks like. Think £200 would be a max budget though

New Poll