corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » MySQL Folk

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MySQL Folk
Dom

User status: Offline
5th Dec 11 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically i have a notification table like so -
code:

+ id + staff_id + location + date + dismiss_boolean +
+----- +----------- +----------------------+-----------------+----------------------+
+ 1 + 22 + Bedfordshire + 2011-11-01 + 0 +
+ 2 + 22 + Hertfordshire + 2011-11-02 + 1 +
+ 3 + 16 + Bedfordshire + 2011-12-01 + 0 +
+ 4 + 17 + Bedfordshire + 2011-11-22 + 0 +
+ 5 + 77 + Hertfordshire + 2011-11-01 + 1 +
+ 6 + 77 + Cambridgeshire + 2011-11-01 + 1 +

And I'm trying to UPDATE a row only if a date value is greater than the current date field value and WHERE the staff_id and location equals a particular value BUT INSERT the row if it doesn't exist.

Usually you would use -
code:
INSERT....ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE...

But you can't, iirc, use WHERE clauses in the UPDATE statement if using ON DUPLICATE. And again you can't use UNIQUE Indexes on the location and staff_id fields due to duplicates.

So I'm after something like this -
code:

IF(
(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `notifications` WHERE `staff_id` = '6' AND `location` = 'Bedfordshire') > 0
UPDATE `notifications` SET `dismiss_boolean` = '1', `date` = '2011-12-10' WHERE `staff_id` = '6' AND `location` = 'Bedfordshire' AND `date` < '2011-12-10'
INSERT INTO `notifications` (`staff_id`, `location`, `date`, `dismiss_boolean`) VALUES ('6', 'Bedfordshire', '2011-12-10', '1')
)

But obviously that doesn't work and I'm having one serious brain fart trying to figure out a solution without using multiple queries. Any help will be grateful

p.s - granted there will be a better way of doing these notifications but this is what I'm stuck with unfortunately.

[Edited on 05-12-2011 by Dom]
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Dec 11 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not clear on the problem, you want to test on date and run a different query on the outcome?

If so there is no date in the condition of your IF()?
Dom

5th Dec 11 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the query I posted the data check is on the UPDATE statement. But yes, test on the date where staff_id = X and location = Y and UPDATE otherwise INSERT.

Basically -

If the row exists, ie: there is a row where staff_id = 6 and location = Bedfordshire, then UPDATE the row only if the date field is older than X date.

Otherwise, if the row doesn't exist (there isn't a row where staff_id = 6 and location = Bedfordshire) then INSERT it.

[Edited on 05-12-2011 by Dom]
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Dec 11 at 23:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what is wrong with that IF() code?

Looks like it should work I think?
Dom

5th Dec 11 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, i thought it'd work but it throws back SQL syntax errors.
The only solution I can think of is to query (and test the date) the table prior to updating or inserting but ideally I want it to be a single query.

Will have to have a read through the MySQL documentation again and see what i can find. Cheers though
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 00:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the syntax error?

You can test the date in the UPDATE, WHERE clause will see to that.

Do the UPDATE and INSERT lines work independently?

Also does the IF() work if you put in two SELECT * FROM notifications LIMIT 1 just to test it?
Dom

6th Dec 11 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a #1064 error.
And yes, both UPDATE and INSERT lines work independently, was one of the first things i checked to make sure i wasn't being a pleb

But as thought, it's failing on the IF Statement as from what I remember it's being used incorrectly outside of a statement.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 00:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what happens when you run the IF() with an easy SELECT in each part?
Dom

6th Dec 11 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
So what happens when you run the IF() with an easy SELECT in each part?

Fails on a 1064 error. Tried bracketing each statement just on the off chance but that fails as well.

This is using MySQL 5.0.92 although I don't think latter versions will make any difference; although i double check this on 5.5 tomorrow.

[Edited on 06-12-2011 by Dom]
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 00:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And what about that SELECT COUNT... on its own? Returns a value I assume?
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 00:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just thinking - that is not an inequality so you can't >0 on it.
Dom

6th Dec 11 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, the SELECT COUNT(*) works fine.

Edit - Shouldn't '(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `notifications` WHERE `staff_id` = '6' AND `location` = 'Bedfordshire')' at least return 'TRUE' though?

Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 00:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll always be true as you'll always get rows, even if the resulting count is zero.

Or you might get empty set? Not sure. Either way if you're using an aggregate function you would always expect a row, just the data to differ. Not the same as running a regular query and waiting for rows or a empty set.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 01:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mysql> select count(*) from codes where serial = 'h';
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 0 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.03 sec)

Yeah - row returned even though the count is zero, that will evaluate to true which is incorrect.

That doesn't solve the syntax issue though.
Lawrah
Premium Member

6th Dec 11 at 01:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

6th Dec 11 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted -
code:
SELECT IF(EXISTS (SELECT * FROM `notifications` WHERE `Staff_ID` = '6' AND `Location` = 'Bedfordshire'), 'Yes','No')

Edit - Nevermind, that fails being a SELECT statement Got excited then

Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 01:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

code:
mysql> select if(exists(select * from codes where serial = 'g' limit 1),1,0) as
test;
+------+
| test |
+------+
| 0 |
+------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select if(exists(select * from codes where serial = '123456' limit 1),1,0
) as test;
+------+
| test |
+------+
| 1 |
+------+
1 row in set (0.02 sec)
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 01:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem is that'll return the two states as output, not run another statement.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 01:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the great reason you can't do the conditional in software?
Dom

6th Dec 11 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
What is the great reason you can't do the conditional in software?

Was thinking performance but it looks to be the only viable solution (read - it's a load of BS and I'm going to give up)

Cheers for the help though, much appreciated
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Dec 11 at 01:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're three distinct operations anyway so there's not much of a performance hit doing the logic elsewhere.

Just make sure the individual queries are using indexes properly, think you'll need a different one for each of the SELECT and the UPDATE because the UPDATE has the additional date clause.

Might also be that you can rewrite it so that the UPDATE uses a variable populated from the SELECT rather than the larger WHERE clause inside it, ie. SELECT locates a key in a field somewhere so the UPDATE doesn't have to duplicate that work by looking back across other columns.

Edit - although that date thing on the UPDATE does differentiate the queries, there's probably not a way of getting a decision in your first SELECT that doesn't include the date then doing an UPDATE that does without it being two passes on the table.

[Edited on 06-12-2011 by Ian]

New Poll