corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple TV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple TV
Wrighty

User status: Offline
24th Oct 11 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically iv got a tv i never use, apart from watching the odd blu-ray on from my ps3. im wondering if apple tv is worth an invest for films, isit good, ie worth 100 bucks?
Cavey

24th Oct 11 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=617461

Basically, from the 7 pages or so

Apple fans think it's brilliant, but there are alternatives that'll do the same thing and more for the same price or less.

If you like Apple, have an iPhone etc and are going to jailbreak it, then go for it.

IMO, it's not really worth it if you've got a ps3 as you may as well stream everything from your PC to the PS3 anyway and save £85-100
Gary
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love mine. there are alternatives but atv looks the best. nice remote and some apple fanboi points thrown in there too
Wrighty

24th Oct 11 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the alternatives cavey?

id probs jailbreak it if you can get 1080p outta it
Toby
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wdtv or a networked media tank are a couple. The latter is a name for a group or rival prodcuts being based upon the same stigma chipsets. I have a pop orb hour which is a NMT by far better than an Apple tv but they are more expensve and may have a lot of functionallity the average user may not need
Dom

24th Oct 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
whats the alternatives cavey?

id probs jailbreak it if you can get 1080p outta it

Not from the ATV you won't. And if you have a PS3 why don't you buy a decent NAS box, wack all your film/tv series on that and stream it across? An ATV/Media Box won't do any more that your PS3 can't.
Wrighty

24th Oct 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so everything apple tv can do my Ps3 can? is there another program i can use on ps3 for films other then PSN, coz the film choice is sh1111te on there!
Gary
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get xbox media centre on your ps3 install icefilms and your onto a winner
Dom

24th Oct 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
If you can get xbox media centre on your ps3 install icefilms and your onto a winner

Just visit the Icefilms website like everyone else Don't need an app or plugin, although granted majority of Megavideo type websites use flash which IIRC the PS3 browser doesn't support.

Wrighty - Lovefilm but the content and streaming quality is cack. Could use a VPN and get a Netflix account or wait until Q1 next year when Netflix will be releasing over here. Or as said, stream local media.

[Edited on 24-10-2011 by Dom]
Bart

25th Oct 11 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
IMO, it's not really worth it if you've got a ps3 as you may as well stream everything from your PC to the PS3 anyway and save £85-100

allegedly in the last but one firmware update, the PS3 now has software to detect a ripped video (i.e downloaded) and adds a watermark etc over the video?

*edit* I think its called Cinavia

[Edited on 25-10-2011 by Bart]
Cavey

25th Oct 11 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last I heard about Cinavia was that it mutes the sound after 20 mins on some 720p, as far as i'm aware it doesnt do anything on AVIs.

I've had a few films that the sound stops on, but can generally download a different copy and get it sorted anyway.

Managed to watch a 720 Transformers the other day with no problems at all

New Poll