corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Android Question...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Android Question...
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
   19th Oct 11 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Ice Cream Sandwich...

How many of the current Android phones will get this when its released?
Gary
Premium Member

19th Oct 11 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope the s2 can make it if its any good. not looked into it. john will know
John

19th Oct 11 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd expect the S2 to get it, possibly newer HTC's, can't see anything older getting an official version.
Rob_Quads

20th Oct 11 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'd expect the S2 to get it, possibly newer HTC's, can't see anything older getting an official version.

I had a feeling that was the case.

And there was me thinking that Google said they had support from virtually all the manufacturers to provide upgrade paths.

I wonder if they have properly separated the OS from the cusomtisation layer so it can be updated from that point on without every manufacturer needing to do the work.
Blade_sri

20th Oct 11 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When's it out?
John

20th Oct 11 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:

I had a feeling that was the case.

And there was me thinking that Google said they had support from virtually all the manufacturers to provide upgrade paths.

I wonder if they have properly separated the OS from the cusomtisation layer so it can be updated from that point on without every manufacturer needing to do the work.

There will be an upgrade path but you can't support ageing hardware forever, (official) froyo was a struggle on the desire for instance, nobody will be wasting time.
Rob_Quads

20th Oct 11 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

There will be an upgrade path but you can't support ageing hardware forever, (official) froyo was a struggle on the desire for instance, nobody will be wasting time.

I agree you can't support aging hardware for ages but I would expect all phones within the last year to support it and most phones in the last couple.

I bet you will be able to count on your hand how many phones get it (and I don't mean by custom roms I mean manufacturer supported)..against how many phones - 30/40/50 in the last coule years
John

20th Oct 11 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many of them are well specced though? If it's of a certain hardware spec it should be supported irrelevant of age though.
Rob_Quads

20th Oct 11 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree 100% it should be down to spec but its not, its down to each manufacturer putting in the effort to port all thier custom changes to the new level etc.

Thus my comment about customisation abtraction from the core OS. This would mean that any phone could just support it without the manufacturer having to jump through hoops.
Gary
Premium Member

20th Oct 11 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see many people with a phone old enough not to take it been arsed about an os upgrade.
John

20th Oct 11 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with that. Some guys on a forum can get almost anything to run on anything so there's no reason that the manufacturers can't all just go with stock android.

Apple being able to exactly control the hardware is obviously a benefit to them, Google must have enough clout to suggest everyone else gets a bit more like that.
Gary
Premium Member

20th Oct 11 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would be an idea to release a couple of versions. A high spec one for decent phones and a lite version
moka

20th Oct 11 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im hoping the blade and the vega will get it... Obv not officially!
Gary
Premium Member

20th Oct 11 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So when's the release date?

New Poll