corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Changing DVD drive on Xbox 360

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Changing DVD drive on Xbox 360
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 11 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update - I bought this Xbox last night...

It comes with a 60GB hard drive as well (is a James Bond "Quantum of Solace" pack according to the box).

I've got it upright and everything seems to work first time? Although it seems a little on the loud side (fan) - are they all like that?
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Apr 11 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not quiet anyway, but the volume is dependent on amount of dust on the heatsink and the state of the original paste.

[Edited on 02-04-2011 by loafofbrett]
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Apr 11 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK I take back what I said... One of the games doesn't seem to load...

Getting a guy local to me to change the laser on the DVD drive for £30. Microsoft wanted £68 to do the same job...

I was going to apply some new thermal paste to the CPU/GPU but annoyingly I don't have a T8 torx screwdriver to remove the heatsink screws with!

So, I am going to order one of them and some better fans off eBay today and hopefully towards the end of next week I will have a fully working and modded Xbox!

On an unreleated note - I noticed the HDD is a 2.5" laptop item - can I simply remove it and put in a bigger one, or does it need to be flashed with some special Microsoft firmware?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick update - didn't need a new laser after all, just had to have the "pot" adjusted on the laser, £10 (although I've seen how he does it so I can now do it myself in the future for free)!

I also stripped the 360 down (those X clamps are a bastard to get off ) and I have discovered why it ran so hot/fans were on full whack all the time:

After getting rid of what was left of the original thermal paste, I cleaned everything up (this took AGES!):

Then I applied some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and put it all back together.

Now the fans just run at a normal speed. DVD drive is quite loud though, but nothing I can do about that apart from installing the games to the hard drive and running them off there.

[Edited on 04-04-2011 by Sam]
Brett
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bear in mind, if you're buying "whisper fans" off ebay for it, they're actually louder.

Also, the resistance on the laser can only go so far. Why is it loud? Not the sound the laser reading loudly? If so, I hope the guy used a multimeter as if it is that then it's set too high for sure and won't last long.

Good job tho Although I've been telling you it's a 2.5" SATA for ages

Also, what did you use to strip the old paste? WD40 does it in a few seconds usually.

EDIT: T5 to remove the heatsinks too iirc.

[Edited on 04-04-2011 by loafofbrett]
Sam
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I've been reading mixed reviews about these Whisper fans. On my server I removed the shitty PSU fan and replaced it with a Nexus fan (and same for the CPU fan also) and they seem really quiet, so I'm tempted to buy another stock 360 fan set, remove the fans and fit some Nexus ones to it then install them.

The DVD loudness is only when it's playing something, it makes no noise when it's idle.

I used isopropyl alcohol (99% I think it was) and some cotton buds to remove the old paste. Normally old paste isn't too difficult to remove but Microsoft have used some cheap shite which seemed quite tacky/rubber like.

Edit: forgot to say, the guy did use a multimeter on the DVD drive yes, and he lowered the resistance. Forza still doesn't play, but then it's a bit scratched and it didn't work in his 360 either. He tried some 'graphic intensive' games like COD on my 360 and it loaded without a problem.

Brett
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd do that with the fans personally, as you can always add your own LEDs if you're that way inclined. Those Talismoons aren't what they're cracked up to be.

If it's the laser that's loud and high pitched mate then the resistance has been set too low. Shouldn't be set to less than 3.2Kohm. I'm baffled why you paid someone tbh lol

I usually soak it in WD for 5mins then it just wipes off no problem. Saying that, I would've used alcohol had I ever bothered buying some.

Sam
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not arsed about LEDs TBH, just want a quieter 360!

The laser is OK I think, the drive is made by Lite-On and in my experience their drives are quite loud anyway - I remember working on a Packard Bell PC recently with a Lite-On drive in it, sounded like it was about to take off!

The laser doesn't make a high pitched sound, just loud when the disc is spinning. I paid someone because I never opened up an optical drive before and didn't want a laser burning a hole in my eyes because of something I did wrong PMSL

Apparently Philips/BenQ drives are meant to be the quietest for the 360, but I CBA dumping DVD keys and doing PCB hacks etc.

Brett
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did he actually use a multimeter tho or just turn it blindly? Just wondering.
Sam
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Did he actually use a multimeter tho or just turn it blindly? Just wondering.

He used a multimeter. He's actually an electrical engineer, does this sort of thing as a "hobby" apparently. I think he set the resistance to 4.8 from 5.2, something like that.

Brett
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, not much, surprised you noticed a difference then lol Looks like you've got a way to go then if that's the right figure.

I'd deffo do the alternative fan method tho. Post some pics up when you're done. Think it's 60mm you need. Could do the fan shroud mod too whilst you're at it, if cooling is your goal.

Sam
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I'll see how I get on, the other 3 games seem to work OK and the ones he tried from his collection were a bit scratched and they worked in it too.

I'll definately post some pics up and do before/after videos with sound to compare. Maybe even an oil painting or two.
Brett
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make the pics a reasonable size next time too
N3CRO

4th Apr 11 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forget exactly what I used to clean Microshafts crappy thermal paste.
It was either white spirit or I used white spirit to get the chips looking shiny and something else to clean off the paste.
Sam
Premium Member

4th Apr 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Make the pics a reasonable size next time too

I thought they were!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll