corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Out of interest....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Out of interest....
Jules S
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Jan 11 at 00:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unemployment dooms

So, out of interest, business wise....would you ACTUALLY consider employing me to design a house/extension etc? I'm in Bristol but can travel within reason.

Just asking, as i'm thinking of putting a business plan together should I get canned

FWIW atm I design/PM projects circa £5m, so a house/extension wouldn't be an issue....20+ experience in the field

I'm just looking at numbers/feedback at the mo...
Simon

13th Jan 11 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to hear that. We had redundancies end of last year and some of full time staff are on 4 day weeks. There is an architect that we pass smaller jobs onto like house extensions, I was looking at his site the other day and thought what he had done was quite good, he has setup a series of packages with costs: http://www.ppa.uk.com/

I think that's quite a good way at marketing at people wanting extensions etc. I think he does a lot of flyer posting and gets work from it. Don't know if that's any help
AndyKent

13th Jan 11 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I don't think CS is the audience. If they aren't faffing around playing with their car, they're not long moved out of home.

If you get any serious responses I'd be surprised.

Hope your job stays safe though, nothing worse than trying to start up a business because you are forced to, rather than because you really want to.
Ecosse Sport

13th Jan 11 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd of thought it'd be relatively easy to get started with, it'd depend on how busy the building trade is.

I reckon there would be small jobs for people building walls, extensions, garages that'd be interested in an architect that charged fixed prices
RichR
Premium Member

13th Jan 11 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I may have some work on my place; primarily the technical aspects post planning permission; i.e. method statements and technical drawings for the builders. Nothing overly exciting but I'm struggling with aspects of it
RichR
Premium Member

13th Jan 11 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also may have another proposal for you; I'll have a think and U2U you.
a_j_mair

13th Jan 11 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right idea wrong place to look for buisness IMO

not wrong per say but not the best. A small add in local rag a simple small website are good places to start

The problem is getting people to pay you. We often find people think things are done for nothing.
ed

13th Jan 11 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're in the right kind of business to go freelancing and you've got the experience so go for it...
Gary
Premium Member

13th Jan 11 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You're in the right kind of business to go freelancing and you've got the experience so go for it...

this
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Jan 11 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Agreed,

I'm chatting to a few other Architects who have done the same thing....the consensus seems to be - if you are good, you will do well.

ATM im in a bit of a strange situation. No, I dont really want to lose my job, but I cant really jump ship as I'm due quite a bit of redundancy if im laid off.

Time will tell I guess, but If i can do this*:

I'm pretty confident I can detail anything

*You might not realise it....but that is fooking complicated
mattk

13th Jan 11 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would look ace with a fence round it
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Jan 11 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
That would look ace with a fence round it

I'm over that now
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

13th Jan 11 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where's that building Jules?
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Jan 11 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
Where's that building Jules?

In a secondary school just East of Yate, and as Matt said, they built a fooking horrible fence around it after it was handed over

I'm over it...honestly, i'm still not pissed off at all

Bastards
ed

14th Jan 11 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Agreed,

I'm chatting to a few other Architects who have done the same thing....the consensus seems to be - if you are good, you will do well.

Must be why so many architects firms are named after people
Tomnova16
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why is the fence needed
were kids trying to climb it

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Jules S
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 00:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
Why is the fence needed
were kids trying to climb it

Football damage apparently. But six foot to the right of the pic there are glass ribbon windows.

I'll never work that out if I'm honest
Conway563

14th Jan 11 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still have a little laugh to myself about your anger over the fence when I drive past there

[Edited on 14-01-2011 by Conway563]
dannymccann

14th Jan 11 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No reason you can't go freelance, put a nice portfolio together to show people your work, simple website, business cards etc. woman I work with her husband is freelance surveyor

New Poll