corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows File Sync - Offline Files

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows File Sync - Offline Files
ed

User status: Offline
9th Jan 11 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying to get Offline Files to work using File Sync in Windows 7. It worked before, syncing files from my PC to my Laptop - now the files are on my NAS and I'm trying to do the same thing but it's not working. The error message is 'This process cannot be completed because the files is in use'. I don't have 3k files open so they definitely aren't in use! Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this error, or better still is there an alternative program to use to get the same functionality as Windows File Sync is sub-par.
ed

10th Jan 11 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£7.99 bump.
Dom

10th Jan 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much use, but i've always used SyncBackup Pro for my remote backups or scripted something to use robocopy (then task schedule the script). I have heard of a number of people having issues with Offline Files though.
Are you sure the files aren't locked? Have you tried something like Lockhunter? (A reboot usually works as well).
ed

10th Jan 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offline Files just sucks, I'll give Lockhunter a go and see what's going on. Though if the files are in use it will be the NAS doing something, or perhaps Windows is doing something stupid.

I don't know if I'd be better off storing the files on my laptop and then just doing backups onto the NAS. Defeats the object of having a file server though...
ed

10th Jan 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(Rebooted both systems too, stopped and started offline files and even deleted the CSC Cache too in an attempt to start a fresh)
Dom

10th Jan 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you just looking at doing incremental backups to the NAS from your laptop and PC? Or are you wanting to sync all three?

I'd have a look at Syncback though, especially as it can be had for nothing It'll also do versioning, which i find is handy if i'm working on a big project and it supports FTP which i use for my online storage.
ed

10th Jan 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do your research before you buy stuff, but it's never enough. Apparently Offline Files is incompatible with my NAS...

There are workarounds though.

New Poll