corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Light Switches

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Light Switches
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Sep 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How easy are these to change? We need to get 3 switches changed because they are old and shitty but the wiring in this house isn't exactly up to code (and the landlord doesn't give a shit about getting the place rewired). We want to replace all three switches to normal on/off light switches.

Here's what we've got:-

Switch 1: two dimmer dials, except they don't dim the lights just turn them on/off. One dial is connected to lights in middle of ceiling (they are 3 lightbulbs coming off one ceiling rose). The other dial is connected to two sets of 2x light bulbs which have on/off light pulls if that's the right term?

This dimmer switch is fucked and there's a lot of burnt plastic inside it (an "electrician" the landlord sent to check it out took it off the wall and that's how I seen how bad it is).

Switch 2: one dimmer dial, housing is cracked and makes the bulb flicker, if you 'flick' the housing/dial with your fingers it makes it flicker even more.

Switch 3: normal on/off switch, has two switches on it (one for landing, other for bathroom).
jrsteeve

24th Sep 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually pretty simple to do as long as you don't mix the wires up, they're usually colour coded although may not be given the wiring's age. Most switches come with basic instructions too, just don't cheap out on foreign import switches from ebay.
Sam
Premium Member

24th Sep 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wiring is from when the house was built, which I am guessing is from the 1960s if that helps?
Sam
Premium Member

25th Sep 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I took off Switch 1 to have a look behind, now all of these wires are RED and there are 5 wires in total going to this two gang dimmer switch - 4 wires coming from behind the wall and 1 wire which interconnects as so:

I bought three switches this morning from Wickes, the one I want to fit in place of the dimmer (Switch 1) is a two gang 1/2 way switch.

From the diagram I showed above, which wires do I put in COM and 1WAY for each 'gang'? And do I need that interconnecting piece of copper wire as well?

[Edited on 25-09-2010 by Sam]
Bart

27th Sep 10 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im no house wiring expert, but that looks ass about face to me?

I would expect the sinlge cables to come off alone (to the ring main/light) and the 4 cables to connect to eachother, something like:

Just a guess tho.
Gary
Premium Member

27th Sep 10 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lighting switches are weird. Completely differeent to what your used to with 12VDC stuff.

Noirmally just switch the live which is why you only have Red wires (old Live colours)

Just stick em in how you think they go and if dnt work then change it.
Cant really blow anything up tbh
Sam
Premium Member

27th Sep 10 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not an electrician only know the basics when it comes to electrics, I managed to fit the new switches as per my wiring diagram/the original switch wiring and it works fine.

The wiring is somewhat dodgy in this house, but meh, it's a rented house what can you do when the landlord doesn't GAF?

I also fitted the other switches this morning and everything seems to be working fine, touch wood.
pow
Premium Member

27th Sep 10 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The switches just cut into the live wire and when they're on deliver current down the live wire to the lights
Gary
Premium Member

29th Sep 10 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
The switches just cut into the live wire and when they're on deliver current down the live wire to the lights

Not as simple as that sometimes.

Especially for landing lights etc (2 switches controling 1 set of lights)
pow
Premium Member

29th Sep 10 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant for what Sam has drew above
XE Col
Premium Member

7th Nov 10 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant do much damage wiring incorrectly in a switch as there wont be a neutral to cross polarity so if you get it wrong try again until it works, lights are a pain to wire without being able to test whats what

New Poll