corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » website building day

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author website building day
bubble

User status: Offline
   18th Jul 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi folks, i am after some advice about building a website.

my grandad has finally been convinced to have a website for the family business, and i was wondering if their are any reputable companys who can provide a domain name and email facilities, with a building tool so i can knock something up?

just want a simple site, with the ability to show portfolio, testamonials, and contact links.

anybody have any reccomendations?
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Jul 10 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble

my grandad has finally been convinced to have a website for the family business, and i was wondering if their are any reputable companys who can provide a domain name and email facilities, with a building tool so i can knock something up?

just want a simple site, with the ability to show portfolio, testamonials, and contact links.

I use http://apisnetworks.com/ and can recommend them... infact, I'd love to recommend them - and get a referral

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
noshua

18th Jul 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1and1

edit; do apisnetworks have a website building tool?

[Edited on 18-07-2010 by noshua]
Dom

18th Jul 10 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grab hosting/domain from anywhere (i'd recommend splitting up the domain and hosting to two seperate providers - also Tsohost.co.uk are really good for hosting) and then use somethis like Dreamweaver which is pretty easy to get used to.
Also look around for templates to give you ideas and/or to nab.
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Jul 10 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
1and1

edit; do apisnetworks have a website building tool?

[Edited on 18-07-2010 by noshua]

No, but their control panel is excellent for setting up and DBs, users, access etc. All you'd have to do is develop your site locally (dreamweaver, etc) and upload it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dan
Premium Member

18th Jul 10 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive recommended Vidahost. Its who im using.

They have installatron for 100s of one click installs, one of which is a website building tool.

For £17 a year, you cant go wrong. The customer service is unbelivable. 8 mins is the current response time, and they do reply that fast. Ive had hours of help off them, and ive paid them just £90 for domains, ssl, and hosting.

If anyone else wants to use them, and dont mind, i have a referral code you can use

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
deano87

18th Jul 10 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want free (apart from buying the domain) try the free ones offered by Google and Microsoft Business Live.
N16K

19th Jul 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have used 123reg for the domain and they are fine.
Bart

19th Jul 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any of the above is fine, 123 reg, 1and1, vidahost.

What Dom has suggested is the way forward, but too complicated for someone just starting out and not really done anything before.
Dan
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea using dreamweaver is way to complex for your needs

You will do well to beat vidahosts prices. Let alone the awesome customer service.

Dom

19th Jul 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure how dreamweaver is complicated?! If you can use word, you can use Dreamweaver, it really is piss easy to use (i've taught teachers and primary school kids to use it so i think you'll be alright)
deano87

19th Jul 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it back about Microsoft Office Live Small Business. It's dreadful. Can never get logged in - Google Sites it is.
Dan
Premium Member

19th Jul 10 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Not sure how dreamweaver is complicated?! If you can use word, you can use Dreamweaver, it really is piss easy to use (i've taught teachers and primary school kids to use it so i think you'll be alright)

It looked way to complicated for me. Maybe i needed to spend more time looking at it.

Sam
Premium Member

21st Jul 10 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble

Is this the guy that restores furniture or something, or am I thinking of someone else?

If funds are tight (if this is the guy I am thinking of), I would recommend doing this:

> buy a .co.uk domain from domainmonster.com - £7.03
> set up Google Apps for Domains (Standard Edition) for email, calendar and more - £FREE
> set up a hosted WordPress site and link your domain name to it - £FREE

You can choose any theme with WordPress for the site (there are loads to choose from and they are all free as well), and you can set up any number of pages and also have a blog/news page too.

I think there are other free hosted website services like Moonfruit that can be used instead of WordPress.

Hope this helps.
Bart

21st Jul 10 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Indeed it is fairly easy to use, but to teach yourself from scratch will probably take him slightly longer.
Gary
Premium Member

21st Jul 10 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wordpress sites look gash.

I can knock something together for cheap. U2U if interested.
Sam
Premium Member

21st Jul 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb

How do they look "gash" exactly? On the self hosted WP sites (not sure about the wordpress.com hosted ones though) you can design and use whatever layout you want...
Dom

21st Jul 10 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb

eh? A lot of big company websites (Wurbtons, Dr Martin) are Wordpress based and a lot of (web)design agencies tend to produce sites based on CMS as the backend is already there.

Although clearly you know what you're talking about with having to advertise your great design skills in a post on a corsa forum

Bart - Within an hour Bubble could be knocking together a website. Dreamweaver in design-mode is pretty much the same as MS Word, so it's very easy. Obviously it can get complicated very easily if you want it to.
As i said though, it's probably best to look around for templates and rip one apart.
ed

21st Jul 10 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The gash Wordpress sites are the ones you notice. He's probably been on hundreds of them and never even noticed as they've been customised nicely...

New Poll