corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My first time buy - 2 bed Split Level Maisonette - Lounge finished 23/07

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My first time buy - 2 bed Split Level Maisonette - Lounge finished 23/07
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Jul 10 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought this place in January with my partner. We got it from her dad so was cheaper than market value but it does need work. Having the little man around hasn't helped and means that the carpets and walls are now showing the hard life the prop has had over the last few years.

Digicam battery is gone so have ordered a new one, Will have to make do with a few pics off the iPhone to start with so you can see what we've been up to! he

Got a quote off a local plasterer the other week to re-skim the hallway and lounge as both rooms had the dreaded artex veins. It came in at a decent price and gave him the go ahead. We left the ceiling as although it wasn't skimmed, there were no swirls or anything. The ceiling and coving will be painted Matt White over the coming days.

Took all the furniture out of the rooms on Saturday evening ready for him to come over on Monday morning. Here's a few pics of the lounge progress and the improvement already!

Before:

TV was wall mounted before we moved in:

Yankee Candles oops!

Prised off the old Curtain pole base:

Artex

After day one, Plasterer left his gear here overnight:

Harvey happy to have his cbeebies back

Finished today, so much better. Gotta wait for it to dry out so we can crack on with the paint now.

Ordering carpet tomorrow and have picked out a Dulux colour for the walls. Got to crack on with the whitework now.

[Edited on 23-07-2010 by VegasPhil]

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Pop

13th Jul 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks really good, congratulations.

Have fun painting on the plastered walls. You have to mix the paint with water for the first coat and it's still a bit of an arse to paint

What colour carpets are you going to go for?

[Edited on 13-07-2010 by Pop]
Ben J

14th Jul 10 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can buy special paint for fresh plaster.
BYRON

14th Jul 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where is this Phil? I think I saw you in sainsburys on Saturday evening, but was steaming drunk and after a cheese and onion slice. Sorry for not acknowledging you.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

15th Jul 10 at 07:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your comments, ordered the Carpet for the downstairs, and Hall, Stairs, Landing today, this is coming next Friday which is exciting. Looking forward to getting rid of the current scabby, smelly one!

Plastering is drying out nicely. Have been sitting with the doors and windows open but is a lot colder than previous weeks so taking a while to get dry. Was hoping to get the first coat or two of paint on there tomorrow before we go to Scotland. Don't think that is going to happen though! Not worried about special paint, will be using the tried and tested method of white and water to seal the walls!

Byron - u2u'd. I was at Sainsburys getting involved with their curry offer

Bathroom:

Started this a long time ago, got the main bits done but being totally honest have been a bit lazy since and never carried on to finish it. Here's a few pics of the horrible old shower room during the ripping out phase.

Best shot I could get of the whole bathroom. Loo stays where it is, Have moved round the basin and added a 1500 size bath to the right with a shower over. Much easier with little one.

Old shower tray, Enclosure is long gone so was dying to get rid of it and get the bath installed. The tiles at the bottom also let water through which was awful.

Got an all white suite for a bargain price and have had to chip up all of the old 1960's vinyl tiles, literally with a floor scraper, chisel knife and hammer. Was hours of work but they are all off now. Gone for white tiles and painted the walls white to cover up some of the green.

Will be painting the bathroom in a pastel blue colour (Bathroom Paint) and have picked out the Vinyl for the floor to go own next Friday. Then need to do the boxing in that i've been putting off for ages. Will get some new pics today of the bathroom if I can.

VegasPhil
Premium Member

25th Jul 10 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update to show you how we got on with the finishing off.

3x coats of watered down white went on. Used 15 litres of paint in total, including 2 decent coats on the ceiling and coving to make it matt white again:

Then the colour, Used Dulux Once (I recommend personally. Used just over one tub and it's nice thick paint) the colour is Ivory Lace, Whitework is White Dulux Satinwood, prefer the finished look of that than to normal gloss.

All finished and furniture back in, really really pleased with it all. Carpet fitters came on Friday so all of downstairs, stairs and landing has a nice new carpet.

One of the Garden I did a few months back, was quite overgrown so dug out the beds again, started to sort out the grass, and we bought lots of little plants which are settling in nicely. Dug out lots of old overgrown plants and weeds and cut back and trimmed others.

[Edited on 25-07-2010 by VegasPhil]

Lee Wilson

30th Jul 10 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good progress mater.
Bart

1st Aug 10 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phil,
Did you plaster yourself or get someone in?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

1st Aug 10 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got someone in for that.

New Poll