corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Homeplugs or Media player?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Homeplugs or Media player?
Cavey

User status: Offline
20th Apr 10 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys,

I've personally asked a few times, but can't search, and after different info now anyway.

I'm looking at streaming HD to the playstation, the cheapest way would be Cat5. But I don't want to run a cable through the house.

So, has anyone got experience of using 200mb Homeplugs to stream 1080 content to a playstation?

OR

Given the choice, would you rather have a dedicated box for HD content, e.g. http://www.envizage.com/products/home-entertainment-players/mkve---1000-wifi-cyclone-wireless-1000gb-1tb-mkv--lan--hdmi--wifi-media-player.html

I need a new hard drive anyway, so trying to decide whether I should buy a 1tb HD for the pc, and the homeplugs, or plump for the Cyclone box and move it upstairs when I need to transfer data, then back down stairs when I want to play stuff.

The cost of each option is around £140
ashleh

20th Apr 10 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think noshua has a popcorn hour which does the equivilant of the cyclone, you can plug external hard drives into it as well I believe.
Cavey

20th Apr 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know quite a lot of people recommend the popcorn hour, think Ash had one as well.

But it was more expensive than the cyclone for what seems to do the same thing.
ashleh

20th Apr 10 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look on avforums classified bit, he picked it up 2nd hand for around £140 (which was when it was first released) so may have dropped a little now?
Cavey

20th Apr 10 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't think about the classifieds, good thinking.
noshua

20th Apr 10 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need a media tank that has the option for an internal hard drive? I.e. if you have external USB drives then there's no point ripping one of open. If this is the case then WDTV is probably the better and cheaper option.

As you said, you're thinking of buying a new 1TB HD so you could buy an external one along with WDTV or similar. Then, instead of moving the media tank about you would only have to move the external hard drive - saves faffing about with all the wires and what not.

Given the option, media tank over home plugs and PS3. Reason being media tanks play a whole lot more file types in comparison to PS3. Don't forget it's easier to move about as well as being less power hungry.

AVForums are selling second hand A110's for around the £110 mark
Cavey

20th Apr 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be a sensible option I guess, the external drive...

They're the same price as internal by the look of it anyway, so would just need a device to use that and stream HD. I'll have a look at the WDTV stuff
Cavey

20th Apr 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/188647

and

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174844

Would do the trick nicely methinks....seems to be the cheapest mkv streamer, the WDTV mini was £45 and doesn't do HD by the look of it
ashleh

20th Apr 10 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look good, read a couple reviews about them (avforums is always good!) beforehand to find any niggles with them.
Cavey

20th Apr 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, have had a look, definitely getting the HDD for now, will leave the box for a while see if they come down in price a bit.
noshua

20th Apr 10 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HD looks fine pal, £60 is about the going rate for a 1TB USB.

Xtreamer is supposed to be alright, as is the HDX series.

Take a look at the comparison chart here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Networked_Media_Tank

Then search on AVForums for the reviews about them
baz2003uk

20th Apr 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i stuck a 2tb in my main pc (near off full with media) and got a acer revo to stick behind the tv the revo runs win 7 and XBMC all media is streamed wireless from main pc to revo all play fine may cost a little more but well worth it
and XBMC handles media and is a sweet layout
Chris
Premium Member

20th Apr 10 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will struggle to stream a hd movie over 200mb, best is a 1 gb cross over to the stream server.

Bandwidth of about 35mbs is required for blu ray mkv rip, so max bandwidth for 200mb would be 24mps.

Will work but be choppy.

Other option is put a large drive in and copy over then watch direct from ps3 drive.
noshua

20th Apr 10 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely forgot about the Acer Revo for some reason, definitely worth a look at.

For my situation, I'd rather have the Revo - automatic downloading from WOL and RSS feeds, saving me leaving the laptop plugged in as well as having to transfer the stuff over manually. If you're in the same situation, look into the Acer Revo
Toby
Premium Member

21st Apr 10 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

homeplugs are cheaper, however had my PCH a110 for 18 months now with a 2tb internal HDD and it hasnt missed a beat. If your looking for 1080p playback,
If you can afford it i would look at the PCH A200 far better than any of the new media players.

I would be shocked if the one you posted can play half the files 1080p, and even if it can it would most likely be in a .ts file
Cavey

21st Apr 10 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Says it plays .mkv files, and has good reviews from everywhere i've seen.

Until I get my internet sorted there's not too much point in me getting 1080p content anyway, I can only get a 3mb connection because we're 5k from the exchange.

Took me a few days to download Zombieland in 1080

Have just ordered a wireless N router becuase problems in the phone sockets around the house mean I'm gonna have to move the router downstairs straight into the test socket otherwise i'll be stuck on 1mb forever.

So for now i'll hold fire on the media player, thanks for the advice though guys
Cavey

21st Apr 10 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a quick look at the Revo, and it would probably be my choice over the other options, would prefer more versatility having a mini pc there instead of a pure media player
Toby
Premium Member

21st Apr 10 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Had a quick look at the Revo, and it would probably be my choice over the other options, would prefer more versatility having a mini pc there instead of a pure media player

Just remeber that it takes a lot more ram to play with a software player than a hardware player
noshua

21st Apr 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any model of the Acer Revo can play most, if not all, 1080p RIPS flawlessly.
baz2003uk

21st Apr 10 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be fair i stuck 4 GB ram in my revo as standard 2gb was not always perfect for full HD

New Poll