corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » External HDD on PS3

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author External HDD on PS3
Cavey

User status: Offline
12th Mar 10 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at getting a 500gb external hard drive to use for my PC and transfer down to the ps3 whenever I want to play 1080p content, would it stream it without any problems? or is USB2 too slow to stream 1080p content?

Only way I can see of doing it over a network would be to get 2 N routers, and hard wire the PC upstairs and PS3 downstairs.

Which would cost more than the 500gb drive would be
strick206

12th Mar 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not 100% but i dont think the PS3 would read a drive so big if it's just plugged into it

Pretty sure anything bigger than 32gig and it won't work

Another option would be to buy homeplugs, belkin do some gigabyte ones that are around 100quid, i use them with no problems.
Nath

12th Mar 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Play.com is full of PS3 compatible hard drives.

[Edited on 12-03-2010 by Nath]
noshua

12th Mar 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

USB2 is fine to stream 1080p.

IIRC you need FAT32 file-system in order to plug the external HDD directly into the PS3 - which rules out file sizes above 4GB.

I don't own a PS3 so not entirely sure, but you should be able to stream content from your PC directly to the PS3 - if the stream isn't 100% compatible (i.e. video and audio) then your PC will do an on-the-fly conversion, which will use up quite a bit of CPU.

Yes, you'd need to use cable instead of wireless to stream 1080p.

http://tversity.com/ or http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

If you have the money, get a networked media tank - they're so much more useful.
strick206

12th Mar 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No point spending hundreds on the networked tank though just for streaming to a ps3, the homeplugs will do that easily enough

You can also convert the video files using a piece of software so that they are compatible and don't require the on the fly conversion
noshua

12th Mar 10 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah - but if Cavey is going to be downloading/viewing numerous 1080p files, the conversion time soon adds up. It's a pain in the arse converting videos all the time - especially when you decide you want to download a film to watch soon as, THEN have to convert it.

On the other hand, it'll take a long time on shit UK broadband speeds to download a 1080p film - so probably not the case here.

EDIT: You can pick up a DTS 1080p capable media tank for sub £100.

[Edited on 12-03-2010 by noshua]
Dom

12th Mar 10 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, the FAT file system rules out files over 4GB so you're limited in what HD material you can store as most 'purchased' HD films are 6-8GBs+ (TV episodes tend to be under 4GB for 720p material). Although you could potentially split the video files.

Otherwise look at streaming.
John

12th Mar 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Worked with everything I've thrown at it so far, recommended by jamied in another thread.

I'd get a bigger internal drive for the pc and stream it.

That ps3media manages all my 720p stuff over wireless, can't remember if I've tried anything 1080p though.

If you already have a router all you need is a cable from router to pc and one from router to ps3.
Cavey

12th Mar 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got no problems with hard drive space, it was just streaming 1080 over wireless g wasn't working so trying to find the best way round it.

The router is upstairs next to the pc, thats wired, but ps3 is wireless. Might just by a htpc, or popcorn hour/wd media thingy. Can pick them up cheap enough now anyway.
Cavey

12th Mar 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or homeplugs as suggested, but for 100 i'd rather get a media centre kinda device instead. Can hide it in the tv unit anyway.
Matty SRi

12th Mar 10 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive plugged my 120gb hdd into my mates ps3 loads of times to watch films. no problems
bubble

13th Mar 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 500gb external plugged in via usb-works a treat

New Poll