corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My jack has left dints in my new driveway

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My jack has left dints in my new driveway
dannymccann

User status: Offline
   13th Apr 10 at 06:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this normal for newly tarmaced driveways? Where Ive lifted by car the wheels of the jack have sunk into the tarmac and left 4 big dints in it Didnt happen at the old (newbuild) driveway...
Dan
Premium Member

13th Apr 10 at 07:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, itll still be fairly soft

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Ben J

13th Apr 10 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep...you need to put some wood or similar under each jack wheel to spread the load.

[Edited on 13-04-2010 by Ben J]
dannymccann

14th Apr 10 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmrph, Ill use the road then, I should have noticed really when the jack wasnt going up anymore and the tyre was still catching on the floor, I couldnt work out what was wrong until I put it down and then couldnt move the jack because it was stuck in the driveway
chloe16v

14th Apr 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

happen outside my house when they did the kurb, our jack sunk and left nice dents in it
a_j_mair

15th Apr 10 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

crap tar tbf
dannymccann

15th Apr 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should I be filling these dints in to stop water getting in and freezing over the winter thus = cracked to fuck driveway?
_Allan_

15th Apr 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273166&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=bitumen&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1271355587048&isSearch=true
AndyKent

15th Apr 10 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything you put it it will fall out again. The problem will likely be the sub-base being too thin and thats not an easy thing to put right tbh.
dannymccann

15th Apr 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, so what should I do exactly....
Colin

15th Apr 10 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fill it in with old chewing gum
C2RL R

15th Apr 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there isn't a great deal you can do that wont either; look rubbish/cost a fortune
JadeM
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours got done yesterday afternoon. I parked the Mini on it overnight .................................. I never checked for any damage
Steve
Premium Member

16th Apr 10 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reminds me of that rogue traders where some guy got his drive done and when they walked on it, the surface was springing up and down

[Edited on 16-04-2010 by Steve]
dannymccann

16th Apr 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, Ill leave it and hopefully we will have sold the place before it becomes a massive problem. Or gravelled it over or something like that....
Andrew

18th Apr 10 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're buying new builds to sell on?

I've had to jack both the car and van up on my new build tarmaced drive to change the bloody wheels due to builders dropping screws Never sank or anything. I'd be getting those guys back out to repair the damage.
dannymccann

18th Apr 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No not buying to sell on...

And exactly where do I stand legally with that sort of thing? Surely its my property now and Ive done the damage to it so its my liability??
RichR
Premium Member

19th Apr 10 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JadeM
Ours got done yesterday afternoon. I parked the Mini on it overnight .................................. I never checked for any damage

When we had ours done, we were told not to drive on it for a minimum of 2 weeks but try to make it 6 if possible. As far as I'm aware, road tarmac is different to drive tarmac as its a much finer grain, so you don't get the pitting/texture of a road but road tarmac goes off quicker. I'm no expert though
RichR
Premium Member

19th Apr 10 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tarmac never truly sets anyway; on ahot day you can see it softening with the heat. I always jack mine up either on a palnk of wood or a flag stone etc. Dad would kill me if I damaged the drive. I spilt Hammerite (a whole can) on the old drive, fortunately, we were having it re-tarmacced the follwoing month otherwise I might not be here today
Andrew

19th Apr 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
No not buying to sell on...

And exactly where do I stand legally with that sort of thing? Surely its my property now and Ive done the damage to it so its my liability??

I bought mine off Miller Homes. EVERYTHING has a 2 year guarantee and then there is a 10 year NSBC or something.

I'll be looking at selling mine in around 5 years or so once the area has picked up. If not, i'll rent it out.. A lot can happen in 5 years though!! I personally don't think you can make any sort of money on new builds unless you can do a proper deal
dannymccann

19th Apr 10 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what we are planning to do if we feel like we want to move in that time frame Andrew, will try and get the equity to 50% in 5-8 years (£62k + interest ) and then either sell from there or rent out, the area commands £550pcm unfurnished for smaller houses than ours so its always an option for the future.

edit - and they havent finished the roads and paths off yet so Im thinking when they finish the site completely and then send the people in to finish off the roads I might just ask them one morning just to shovel a bit extra over the gaps, not fussed if its a different material only need a tiny bit in each hole...

[Edited on 19-04-2010 by dannymccann]
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
reminds me of that rogue traders where some guy got his drive done and when they walked on it, the surface was springing up and down

[Edited on 16-04-2010 by Steve]

I remember that, they couldn't even open their garage door properly IIRC
3CorsaMeal

23rd Apr 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my drive is falling apart from all the oil the car has leaked on it, can't fix it now its gradually just falling to bits.

as said, tarmac never sets
dannymccann

23rd Apr 10 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If we are still here when it fecks up I might just do what my dad did and rip it all up, put a plastic sheet down and gravel it

New Poll