corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Driveway advise

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driveway advise
EarlofBarnet

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 07 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting sick of not being able to park near my house, so the plan is now to build a driveway on the front of my house. I've got the forms from the County Council for kerb dropping. But, what to use to build the drive itself?

I've measured up today and the plan is to make 1/2 of the front garden the driveway (at present there are two bits of grass seperated by a concrete path). The side I want to make a drive is approx 18sqm, which I think should be plenty of room for one car (either the Corsa or the family car).

I'm not sure what material to have the driveway made from. I fancied some kind of brick paving arrangement, but not sure if it'd be suitable if I'm wanting to jack the car up etc? Would plain concrete be best or is there anything that would look better but be more suitable?

Any advice much appreciated
Colin

3rd Nov 07 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id tar it tbh, probably most durable, bricks sink, stones scatter & concrete splits.

Just do some homework & dont get a cowboy to do it!!
Marc

3rd Nov 07 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a brick driveway, and as Kolingingus says, the brick do indeed sink and need re bedding.

Tar looks a bit crap though.

concrete with a brick border could be a compromise.
AndyKent

3rd Nov 07 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Concrete is the most durable, and most expensive, and pretty ugly.

Tarmac looks ok, pretty durable and kind of middle of the road option.

Cheapest I guess, but unless done properly could sink with the weight of a car on it a lot of the time...

I'd go tarmac TBH.
mattk

3rd Nov 07 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We dug ours out put around 15 inches of hardcore down then aload of gravel, I have progress pics if anyone is interested like

EarlofBarnet

4th Nov 07 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think concrete with a brick border might be the best compromise between looks and durability?

Will have to get some quotes for lowering the kerb now. Heard figures from between £250 and £1k, so we'll see what I can get!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Nov 07 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DIY kerb lowering

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
EarlofBarnet

4th Nov 07 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people seem to round here Dan, but really cannot be arsed with any hassle of the County Council. Much easier to have it done properly
GT4Brody

5th Nov 07 at 05:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My council want £3500 to lower our curb and tarmac over a section about 8x4 foot robbing cunts, my whole blockpaved drive cost less than 2 grand and that is with marshalls tegula paving which isnt cheap!!
lilmaddam

5th Nov 07 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo dont do it your slef (kerb) as if its dosen't meet council satisfaction you will then have to pay to have it done properly and if any one trips over becasue of un even pathway they will probaboy try to sue you so in the long run paying to have it done properly would work out cheper.

have you asked the council how much they would charge, im sure that they will do it as they did one for my other half, and dont think it cost to much either!
a_j_mair

7th Nov 07 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

monoblocked drive done properly looks by far the best but is most expensive. Done properly it wont sink, i would also use 75mm blocks rather than 50mm even though more expensive will be a far better job
EarlofBarnet

7th Nov 07 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got a pic of a monoblocked drive? Sounds good.
RichR
Premium Member

9th Nov 07 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

compromise with brick edged tarmac drive;

GF's next door neighbours just had it done and it looks pretty good tbh; a full brick drive can sometimes look out of place
Russ

10th Nov 07 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brick done right doesnt sink, expensive to do properly, but looks best and can add custom design

New Poll