corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ...DO NOT LOWER

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ...DO NOT LOWER
dig dave2811

User status: Offline
14th Mar 03 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been enquiring with some garags out fitting a suspension kit to my corsa b.
they practically all said
"u dont want to lower the car it buggers everything up and can make the car unsafe to drive" by buggers up they were on about the harshness of the ride, it will make everything rattle, alters camber, puts alot of strain on all the components of the car.

what do u lot all think coz most have u have lowered your car, whats it like to drive, how bumpy, rattling etc, is it unsafe?

oh yeah it would be a 40mm drop

also would a car on 16's look stupid with a bodykit and no lowered suspension

thanx dave
3CorsaMeal

14th Mar 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres lowering and theres slamming.

u can lower a car safely.

It does make the ride quite bumpy, it does put the driveshafts under more stress.
-40mm is sensible.............not much harm
stuyw

14th Mar 03 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think they tried to blag u m8

40mm will not do any harm if u get them fitted correctly

dig dave2811

14th Mar 03 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would be a full kit as well springs and shocks
stuyw

14th Mar 03 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u will have no probs m8

d0gz_bollox

14th Mar 03 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most mods to a car help to shorten its life. so what
d0gz_bollox

14th Mar 03 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some mods (turbo 2ltr) even help to shorten the DRIVERS life
Mav 3000

14th Mar 03 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do it sensibaly - I'm sure big name companies wouldn't make kits for cars if they didn't think they were safe as it's their reputations on the line at the end of the day.

I lowered 30mm - yes it is a hard ride and the dash only rattles over big bumps which I try and avoid now.

thehandling improvement is wel worth the lowering though! I took my car to a garage to gaurantee a good job.

Rich
dig dave2811

14th Mar 03 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WHAT DO U MEAN TO SORT THE BRAKE BIAS OUT
corsa120

14th Mar 03 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ride is not that bad if u buy a full kit ie shocks and springs ive lowered mine 60mm at the back and 45mm at the front on G-MAX gas shocks and springs bin on a year now and no problems with them or the car!!! bin through 2 MOT'S with them on 2!!! handling is great tho i mean wicked
animality-gt

14th Mar 03 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its dangerous to lower a car ur self by cutting coils off the springs. peopl do this not knowing that if the spring pops outta its seat it could put the car through a wall. make sure the garage no ur fittin new springs and not just cuttin d coils.

wats this about sorting the brake bias out?
Lazarus1

14th Mar 03 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave go ahead and lower.Granted,the ride will be harsh(u'll get used to that after a while) and the driveshafts will be put under a lot of stress,but compared to the crap suspension that the standard corsa B has,you'll feel like driving a new car.And i feel a lot safer driving my car now that is lowered then before.
c0r5a_gsi

14th Mar 03 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think adam is on about the load proportioning valve located on the rear axle, it controls the pressure to the rear brakes, depending on the weight in the back of the car.
You need to adjust the spring on it, if you lower the car afaik.
bluecorsaSXi

14th Mar 03 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lowering will improve handling and braking, consequncely (?spl?) making it safer to drive!!!
i lowered mine 60mm all round on spax last month, at first the ride was as hard as a F1, but now its settled in and aint to bad!!
the harshness will depend on the shock, and if its adjustable!!
ive heared about the brake bias before! basically if u were to attach a trailer or fill ur boot wit 96 cans of stella the back of ur car lowers cause of the weight!! which upsets handling and braking!
so anywayz, when the rear of ur car lowers, this bias thing kicks in, transferring more brake power to the rear, kinda like pullin the handbrake if u didnt have the excess weight, like when lowering ur car!!!
but the guy i got to help me wit installin my suspension, who has lowered a few corsas b4, said hes never heard of such thing on them, and i havent had anythin done to mine, and havent had any probs!!!!
Dav

14th Mar 03 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate I was exactly the same as u before I lowered my car.
Didn't really know everything and was a bit unsure....
But if u do it proper and don't get it fitted by cowboys then u'll be fine.

My Corsa's lowered 60mm now and I love it
dig dave2811

14th Mar 03 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bluecorsaSXi
lowering will improve handling and braking, consequncely (?spl?) making it safer to drive!!!
i lowered mine 60mm all round on spax last month, at first the ride was as hard as a F1, but now its settled in and aint to bad!!
the harshness will depend on the shock, and if its adjustable!!
ive heared about the brake bias before! basically if u were to attach a trailer or fill ur boot wit 96 cans of stella the back of ur car lowers cause of the weight!! which upsets handling and braking!
so anywayz, when the rear of ur car lowers, this bias thing kicks in, transferring more brake power to the rear, kinda like pullin the handbrake if u didnt have the excess weight, like when lowering ur car!!!
but the guy i got to help me wit installin my suspension, who has lowered a few corsas b4, said hes never heard of such thing on them, and i havent had anythin done to mine, and havent had any probs!!!!

HAS ANYONE ELS HAD THIS CHANGED AND HOW HARD IS IT. ALSO HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS KEEPING IT THE SAME
RickV6

14th Mar 03 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines lowered 40mm with Billies, took mine in for service and asked the masterfit guy to adjust brake bias valve (called a proportioning valve) cos i cudn't be arsed to do it as ya need a ramp, told the guy it was lowered and it was gettin light at back under brakin, he did the big breath thru the teeth thing an said 'springs aint gonna fall out are they'?
Err no they is same drop as Irmscher stuff. look i'll do it meself if its too hard for ya only its part of service to check and adjust it anyway. He said 'well it aint that easy bu I'll do it' Left it with and went back to fetch it and got invoice and he'd charged me £20! I hit the roof! in the end he knocked it off bill, (sometimes pays to complain!) Any who brakes mint, sharp, and staight as a die now.

[Edited on 14-03-2003 by RickV6]
TOMAS

15th Mar 03 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brake bias valve lets the rear brakes off slightly when the rear rises (looses weight) thus stopping the rear wheels locking up under hard braking. To alter it its just one bolt/nut on my 1.2 16v and its just a case of altering it and trying it out down the local empty car park!!lol. Lowering will improve it a lot both looks and performance. Ive slammed mine 65mm with 17's - its sat on bumpstops to stop the wheels from scrubbing- im going purely for looks! Its Ok ive coped with it urban driving for 20K miles now no-probs but the ride is THAT hard its beginning to do my nut in, I wreckon its going to shorten the life of my chassis by no end let alone the other suspension/steering components. Either considering raising it to 40mm drop to aid comfort or going for coilovers and slamming it properly with a touch more comfort and adjustability to tailor it to suit me.
dig dave2811

15th Mar 03 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

65MM ON 17'S THATS ALOT, bumpstops will must make your car seam like it has no suspension at all.
thanks for the help
Scott

15th Mar 03 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kris TD

15th Mar 03 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dig dave2811
65MM ON 17'S THATS ALOT, bumpstops will must make your car seam like it has no suspension at all.
thanks for the help

mine is the same, dont have bumpstops at the front though, well only the foam ones that came on origanal shocks.

have petrol springs on my td so they are too soft and the front is sat stupidly low.
Matty Hall

16th Mar 03 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines lowered on pi springs the ride is a little bumpier than standard, but not uncomfortable. Been lowered nearly 2.5 years now and had no negative comebacks from it.

16" wheels without lowering will look crap, so lower it. If you are worried about altering the camber, courtney sell camber adjustoing kits.

New Poll