corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » prep'n bodywork

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author prep'n bodywork
carl moffatt

User status: Offline
10th Mar 03 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What can i do to prep the car for its respray?

After its MOT in a couple of days i want to prep the body to the best i can. Thus meaning keeping the price of the respray down and putting in as many hours as i want before it goes.

Things such as rust(light surface), and using filler?

What typre of grade paper to use etc

i needs a full list of everything to do. Oh and the car will be kept outside under a car cover..
Kris TD

11th Mar 03 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fill in all the dents using p38

grind the rust away with a dremmel tool or very carefully with an anglegrinder, prep with anti rust stuff then fill with p38

when u have sanded the filler down smooth with 300 grage i would put a coat of primer over it for 2 reasons:
1. u can see an inperfections
2. it will stop the filler soaking up rain water as it does without being primed.
carl moffatt

11th Mar 03 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice One boss!

Will it be ok to use primer out of a spray can?

Is that all i should use grade 300?

cheers.
Kris TD

11th Mar 03 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

primer out of a can is fine for this as it'll all be done properly at the spray shop.
get a contrasting colour too your car though, say dont use white primer on a light car. as it will be easier to see inperfections..
300 grade will be fine to get a smooth finnish on the filler use something like 100 too sand the filler down as ti will be much quicker.
Kris TD

11th Mar 03 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, get yourself a sanding block if u dont alrerady have one.
carl moffatt

11th Mar 03 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its getting sprayed reflex silver from the the new vag range to keep in timing with the mk1.

When i say its going into the shop its not getting sprayed by a bodyshop. My mate is a sprayer and he is doing its in his large garage. Before anyone start slating im low on cash at the mo so just want best results really. So im gonna try and do most of the bodywork myself. He did say he will do it for me and im a perfectionist and i like to get it right first time.

Thanks for the help BTW

Right so i need p38 filler, 300, 100 paper, sanding block, owt else lol? Should grey primer be ok with silver?
Kris TD

11th Mar 03 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get white primer , he will use gry primer.

mate i do all my own spraying and welding and everything basically. dad helps quite a lot. but i do for gfor the same reason as you, one no money and to be honest i prefere doing it myself, its all my familys work, not someione ive paid, get too see it in all stages of work and know it hasnt been botched. go for it mate, u will be more pleased with the result
Scott M

12th Mar 03 at 01:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True, was gonna say be careful bout prepping yourself as garages charge a mint to re do stuff but thats irrelevant now.

p300 will get a mental smooth finish on the filler, especially if you work up throught the grades from 100 up. Just be careful not to take out too much, its real irritating to have to go back and re fill.

You also gotta bear in mind that with dents there is a very good chance that around the edges of them will be high spots so you will need to knock them out too. (CAREFULLY)

And get a dust mask obviously, filler gets fookin everywhere and aint good for ya!

New Poll