corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bit of advice on Weight Training please.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bit of advice on Weight Training please.
thegsi

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started roofing for my dads firm 2 years ago and never did manual labour as a job and I'm not the biggest of builds so it took a while to get used to all the lifting. Now I'm used to it but feel I'd like to try and train a little when I get home to keep on top and generally build a bit of muscle. I have some weights at home and was thinking of doing a few exercises now and then.
What would the meat heads advice in terms of length and exercises? As in how long would be good every other nite to build up some chest and shoulder muscles? I'm new to this so any advice or links welcome. Cheers lads.
Wrighty

3rd Jan 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big weight
low reps
loads of protein in your diet
loasda good ideas in p90x for different exercises you can do at home.

theres a bit more to i then lifting weights and eating lots though.
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Jan 10 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats your diet like at the min. Most important thing to correct first of all. IMO

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
thegsi

5th Jan 10 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well my diet isn't too bad. I eat a lot of veg, salads, pasta, meat ect. I do have the ocassional take away. What could I do to change it? Or would you suggest some suppliments?
Dan
Premium Member

5th Jan 10 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon you would be best to try the p90x system for 90 days. Come with all the info on diet and training, along with video's for each day's excersize. It will give you a good insight in how to eat and prepare you for the proper weight training.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
DizzyRebel

5th Jan 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First off get your diet sorted, Break meals into 5 - 6 smaller portions to have every 2-3 hrs. Each meal should contain a protein source of some description, the best ones are meats so plenty of chicken, tuna, beef, ham, turkey, fish, tuna etc.

A good quality whey protein powder such as PHd, USN, Reflex etc would be a good addition to your diet. 2 or 3 a day will mean you at least have ingested your maintenance protein quota for the day.

Dont go overboard with carbs, when bulking its fine to add some, but keep portions small, so if you are having rice, only have 50-100g at a time. Oats are about the best carb to eat so have those as a staple part of your breakfast.

Training wise, start off with 3 full body workouts a week comprising of (assuming you have barbell, dumbells and weights and a chin bar only) doing these exercises in this order.

Benchpress
towel grip horizontal pullups
shoulder press
reverse grip chins
Dips
Deadlift
Back squat.

Then the week after reverse the order of the exercises. Do the exercises in 4 sets of 8 reps with a weight you can use comfortably but not too easily.

do this for 2 months with a god diet and you will add some strength and mass. After that its time to start something a little more focussed.
Dave86

5th Jan 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you drink booze alot?
thegsi

5th Jan 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dan: Where can I find this plan mate?

DizzyRebel: Thanks a lot mate thats really helpful and just the info I needed.
thegsi

5th Jan 10 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by slowandstandard
do you drink booze alot?

No very very rarely.
Dave86

5th Jan 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good

do some shoulder presses as well with db or barbell

altho, if your wanting to gain size i would get in amongst the carbs, porridge porridge and some more porridge. that will also in turn build muscle, long as your training good proper and hard, and your still taking in your protein everyday.

try not to overload on protein, as your body can only digest around 40-60 grams per sitting, so dont go overboard on the chicken breasts washed down with a protien shake, its not doing you any favours.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bit of advice on Weight Training please. 25 database queries in 0.0087299 seconds