corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Failed Wheelbearing @ 47K?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Failed Wheelbearing @ 47K?
Miner

User status: Offline
   3rd Mar 03 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car failed it's first mot today for an eccessively loose & noisy O/S/R wheel bearing, although I drive 500 miles a wk this is the first I've noticed it. It's done 47K & is lowered -60mm with 7x15 ET37 wheels, anyone had similar problems? I asked how the fuck I needed a wheel bearing at my 1st mot & the tester took considerable offence but then said it would prb pass if stripped & regreased which makes me think he's full of shit! They want £40, got the bearing from my work for £4 & they get their stuff from the same suppliers. Gonna do it myself but I need a second opinion or some advice. Cheers
matt_jonesuk

3rd Mar 03 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine went at 56k O/S/R also. Cost me 11 quid for the part and labour if they are charging you 40 quid go else where..... if the wheel bearing has gone you will be able to hear it at certain speeds i thought mine was my exhaust at first......
paulr202000

3rd Mar 03 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your wheel bearing probably failed so soon as the offset on your wheels is a long way off standard so will be over loading your bearings
Kris TD

3rd Mar 03 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your wheels will have done it and will continue too.
Miner

4th Mar 03 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's going to a guy my dad know's who is an mot tester, It was supposed to go to him anyway but I 4got to organise it. He's gonna check it out & if it's fuked then he'll fix it but if it's not then they're gonna be sum ass kickin done! After I tore the face of the guy he back tracked & tried to say it might be ok if it was regreased & nicked up which makes me think he's full of shit. But then again "It's only just starting ken pal, it's no gonna collapse but it's on the road out!" I drove Auchinleck to Glasgow (35 miles) with no music on & I didn't hear anything even dipping the cluch at 80 & coasting down to 40. Maybe it is but I've had the Vauxhaull dealer tell me my exhaust manifold & gasket were replaced under warranty to find a week later that they had actually fixed the blowing by patching the crack on my cat with chemical metal. Trust no one! Cheers folks I'll keep u'z posted.
matt_jonesuk

4th Mar 03 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im starting to do my own repairs at the end of the day if a person in a garage can take short cuts that will save them half a day they'll do them cause they can then "repair" more cars which means more income at the end of the day they dont care about the customer

but if i do my repairs i take my time i do them right so im happy with them.

I was going to do the accelarator cable which has gone on mine but havent had time......

but i did fit a new exhaust to it with help from my dad (cause he can weld)

the only person i trust with my car is myself nowadays a lot of garages also tweak things on ur car for them to go wrong few weeks down the line

trust no one but urself
miles

4th Mar 03 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will defo be caused by your wheels.

Bearing can need adjusting, but for the sake of a £5 part fit a new one, it could cease and snap the stub axle. This happened to me, could easily have killed me, having your wheel fall off in the fast lane of the M4!

I think it was caused by a overtightened wheel bearing.
Miner

4th Mar 03 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drive 500 miles a week on the A77 (One of Britains most dangerous roads as it has 4 lanes, no central reservation & sweeps along the moors!) I'll be taking no chances! Just not very trusting!
-Aliba-

4th Mar 03 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you hear a couple of boys guys got killed on that road today just by the golf course. It happened 4 cars in front of my mum! Nasty fcukn road! Am only at uni 2 days a week at present, but still hate that road.
Miner

4th Mar 03 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, I had 2 wait in Glasgow today cos the raod was closed. Only knew there was a fatal incident but nowt else, I wonder how many more people are gonna die b4 they extent the motorway back to Killie!
-Aliba-

4th Mar 03 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too many. Its went on far to fuckn long!!! As i said, my mum was driving my papa up 2 the hospital, drove by it all, seen one of the guys in the car (blue) lying dead to the world. It really pisses my of when they constantly work on the auchinleck to killie road stretch. Every fcukn day their working on something, usually the same bit of road which has been worked on a month previously.

New Poll