corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Mobile Internet?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mobile Internet?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Nov 09 at 06:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
surely if you get internet / data with your mobile you could that and connect to the laptop?????

It's called tethering and it can be done quite easily, but the network won't like it if they find out.
I've done it with my iPhone.. normally O2 charge something like £25/month on top of your current bill to activate tethering on the iPhone but there's other ways to do it

I just connect my E71 to my laptop via cable (or bluetooth sometimes) and press connect to internet using the Nokia PCSuite, then it connects using my standard '3' Connection i would use if i was using it on the phone itself...How will the network know...

They will see your UserAgent of the browser on your computer as I'm sure most of their connections are proxied.
John

16th Nov 09 at 07:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hadn't thought of that one, although, I can set my phone browser to show up as various browsers so they couldn't use that against you.
willay
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but why would you do that in the first place?
John

16th Nov 09 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some sites format/have different content depending on what the browser is, it's mainly to switch between mobile and desktop content.
willay
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really? thats quite a clever idea. Back to the original topic though even with excuses like that I'm sure they have powers within your service contract to tell you to GTF
John

16th Nov 09 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do, I've been using tethering a bit recently and was wondering how they'd be able to tell.

On my phone I just have a program that shows as a wireless access point.

To the network it will look exactly like any other app, eg google maps, apart from downloading gazzillions of data I can't see how they would ever know.
willay
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah just depends what systems it has to go through before it hits the actual Internet, out of interest, can you only use www or can you ssh/ftp/smtp too?
John

16th Nov 09 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure, i'll give it a try next time I'm on it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll