corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Help with formatting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with formatting
ajscorsa

User status: Offline
27th Oct 09 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so I want to install windows 7 onto my laptop. I installed it at first and just upgraded vista but I heard windows 7 is faster if I do a clean install, i.e. format the drive and start a fresh.

it won't let me format the drive as it has been partitioned with the recovery file for vista being part of the partition.

how do I go about formatting the whole drive so I can install windows 7?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

booting off the windows 7 disk and going through the installer, it will ask if you want to format. Remember to delete the recovery partition so you gain more space.
Rob_Quads

27th Oct 09 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
booting off the windows 7 disk and going through the installer, it will ask if you want to format. Remember to delete the recovery partition so you gain more space.

I would not recommend doing this yourself unless you really know what your doing which you obviously don't. By keeping the recovery partition you know you will always be able to fairly easily get back a working system if you need to.

Also remember if you format your disk you will loose everything. Backing up just your documents is not enough normally as there are often files all over the place you want including confiurations per app i.e. email etc.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Oct 09 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

live on the wild side of life you pussy, remove the recovery partition.
ajscorsa

27th Oct 09 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was up to half 2 last night lol, I couldnt find the option to format off the windows 7 disk. would only upgrade or install windows 7 so i'd have 2 os'

so I upgraded to windows 7 copied my recovery file from my partition to my external HDD. then used my XP cd to format c: then loaded on windows 7

seems an awful lot quicker than vista.
AlexN
Banned

27th Oct 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you turn your laptop on, go into bios, set it to boot from cd/dvd drive first, then just press a button when it says, to boot from cd press a button.. follow the steps, delete everything, fresh install with 1 os
ajscorsa

27th Oct 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes I booted from cd but it still never gave me the option to format the drive, just installed windows 7 along with vista, or upgraded vista. no clean install.

managed it in the end though
AlexN
Banned

27th Oct 09 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc its not an option as such, you have to go looking a bit for it. i think its on the partition screen. im sure there'll be a youtube video of it somewhere
John

27th Oct 09 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Format is on the main screen on 7 iirc, it was hidden below an option in vista.
AlexN
Banned

27th Oct 09 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've only installed 7 once, and that was RTM, vista about 20 times in 2 years!

New Poll