corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » corsa xe loosing electric

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author corsa xe loosing electric
scunnylad

User status: Offline
14th Sep 09 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rite my car is realy starting to annoy me now. its the later coilpack redtop with multi v alternator, had it all up and running in the drive ran for over a hour. i took it out on the road got 3 mile and then it cut out and would restart.... the battery was dead. i got it home charged the battery up and got it running again and checked the charging at the battery and the alternator both said 14.6v without load and 14.2 with load on.
i took it out again just for a short drive around the block recheck charging and was at 14.6v again..... then i jst saw the voltage drop from 14.6v down to 5v in 5 min until it cut out.
any1 got any ideas of what it could be ? ive just checked the battery warning light bulb and thats blown but surely can't be just that ?????
haydenover

14th Sep 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scunnylad
rite my car is realy starting to annoy me now. its the later coilpack redtop with multi v alternator, had it all up and running in the drive ran for over a hour. i took it out on the road got 3 mile and then it cut out and would restart.... the battery was dead. i got it home charged the battery up and got it running again and checked the charging at the battery and the alternator both said 14.6v without load and 14.2 with load on.
i took it out again just for a short drive around the block recheck charging and was at 14.6v again..... then i jst saw the voltage drop from 14.6v down to 5v in 5 min until it cut out.
any1 got any ideas of what it could be ? ive just checked the battery warning light bulb and thats blown but surely can't be just that ?????

had the same prob mate alternator , all the time we checked charging it was fine, but in the end we caught it playing up , i would say ur alternator mate
scunnylad

14th Sep 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i dont drive it tho it stays charging u can hear it adjust with voltage up n down its kinda like the battery aint accepting charge ???
mattcape

15th Sep 09 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe the batterys fried mate could still hold voltage but no amps.. would try it on a donor battery first to check...
haydenover

15th Sep 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scunnylad
if i dont drive it tho it stays charging u can hear it adjust with voltage up n down its kinda like the battery aint accepting charge ???

yeh same with mine mate i still reckon your alternator at fault mate
corsa120

15th Sep 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be voltage rectifier heard this plays up on bikes alot but not heard it on cars but you never know.........

basically it cuts the power when the engine is revved or else you would get sky high voltage could be working then not working maybe/loose connection

[Edited on 15-09-2009 by corsa120]
scunnylad

15th Sep 09 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive checked the connection on that it all ok. im gunna get battery tested 2morro and go from there
alan-g-w

15th Sep 09 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It must be the battery, I used to have to charge mine in the house when I was having trouble with the fan belt. It would last a good couple of hours, and that was with an old battery.
scunnylad

15th Sep 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well ive had the battery on charge for 8 hours or so n the charger still says it hasnt finished charging ??? the battery still started the car?
alan-g-w

16th Sep 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the battery isn't taking a charge? That sounds like a fucked battery to me mate. Just because it started the car doesn't mean it's a good battery. Obviously I don't know for sure but that's what I'd say from what you've said.

[Edited on 16-09-2009 by alan-g-w]
scunnylad

16th Sep 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had the battery checked and apparantly its all ok ? so down the alternator route me thinks
alan-g-w

16th Sep 09 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless there's something drawing current, a fully charged battery will be able to get you around, as said, for a good couple of hours before running out.

Replacing the battery light buld would be my next move.
scunnylad

16th Sep 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but even if something is drawing current it has to be drawing a serious amount of current for it to completely run a battery flat while driving ??

New Poll