corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » rotting in spare wheel well

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author rotting in spare wheel well
cjohnson

User status: Offline
3rd Aug 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, done a massive clean on my car tonight.

Removed spare wheel to clean underneath, expected rust as they all have rust there lol, but mine was really rusty, scraped all rust off and removed a bung. All the metal has rotted through or wafer thin around it, so, whats the plan?? Dad says Kurust and paint and forget about. Another friend said ignore it. But itd a rotten part of the car and I don't like it lol.

Best fix please??

Cheers.

[Edited on 03-08-2009 by cjohnson]
am4nf

3rd Aug 09 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cut it out weld new bit in
cjohnson

3rd Aug 09 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might have a word with a lad I know that's an engineer, see if he could do it for me. Wouldn't really matter so much tough would it?? I mean I want it putting bang right, but if I was to just prevent it getting worse would it be ok??
am4nf

3rd Aug 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its your car, no-one is going to get hurt from it so it wouldnt matter
harrisp

3rd Aug 09 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its easy to cut out, weld a new bit on the inside, cover the inside with roof flashing (similar to the sound proofing) and cover it in underseal on the outside.
Just done it and it looks fine and is probably stronger than the original boot floor.
ed

4th Aug 09 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure you cut out all the rot by cutting around about 10mm to the outside of where it stops; and as said, cover the lot in underseal on the outside. You could Waxoyl it too for good measure.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » rotting in spare wheel well 23 database queries in 0.0086489 seconds