corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Domain Registrar Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Domain Registrar Question
Bart

User status: Offline
11th Jun 09 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im hosting a website for afriend who is currently paying another company to develope and host her website.
They are ripping her off so i've offered to host her website for free.

Ive supplied the company with my own name servers and they want to charge an administration fee for doing so.

Running a domain whois shows that 123 reg is the registrar and the other company is the host.
Do they have us by the balls for the admin fee or can I legally request access to the 123 reg account seeing as she is the registered registrant?
My friend is the registrant and the billing address is her address.

Thanks in advance..

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by Bart]
liamC

11th Jun 09 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some companies do this AFAIK.

Basically all they have to do is change 2/3 DNS IP settings which takes all of about 15 seconds max. Robbing bastards.

Does it say anything like administration fees will be extra in the T&Cs?

How much are they asking for?
Bart

11th Jun 09 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will see if theres any T&Cs on the websites. Its around £40, which isnt alot I know, but like you said its day light robbery for what it involves.
Bart

11th Jun 09 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely if she is the legal registrant, they cant demand £35 or not let her have access to the domain controls?
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the type of websites.

If it's a .uk websites, it doesn't cost the existing registrar anything at all to change the IPSTAG and nameservers, however if the domain is up for renewal fairly soon the new registrar will be required to charge for another 2 years registration.

If it's any other type of domain you normally have to pay for a domain transfer, possibly to both the old and new registrars.

At the end of the day (unfortunately for you) existing registrars are allowed to charge what they want, even if it costs them nothing to do the transfer as is the case for UK domains (all they do is send an email to a special Nominet address with some commands in it for Nominet to process, that's it).
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, I'm sure with UK domains you can approach Nominet directly to change the IPSTAG and nameserver details, but you would still have to pay them a fee (can't remember how much, about a tenner I think).

New Poll