corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I want a job in auto mechanics...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I want a job in auto mechanics...
Mertin

User status: Offline
11th Jun 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
quote:
Originally posted by Root
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and views and wants to share their own experiences. Until recently I've not known where I want to go in life, not had an incling.

I think this is really what I want to do. I'll be on more money than I'm on now and most importantly I'll be doing something I like. If I get sick of it a year in then never mind lol

do you really want to be bending over engine bays, on your hands and knees and underneath dirty oily cars in a freezing cold garage at the age of 65? I know i dont!

Mert - no, the thought never crossed my mind. Are there even any avenues open for me in that direction?

With a trade there is. So much different companies out there aswell and different equipment. Also alot of onshore based companies that do work for offshore companies. Although im not sure what its like in your area, I know in Aberdeen there is endless companies who require mechanics. Only problem alot of the jobs may be based in Scotland, im sure there would be some in your area though
Root

11th Jun 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's what I want to do so stop trying to put me off lol. I'm not bothered about getting my hands dirty.
sport16v

11th Jun 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better off going into engineering; my pay started at £175 a week, in my last year now up to £265 a week and then I will be on full pay, slightly better paid (generally) than mechanics, less messy, more sociable and generally, you are learning alot of the skills that you will learn in a garage without getting pissed off with your own car;

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by sport16v]
LeeM

11th Jun 09 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and views and wants to share their own experiences. Until recently I've not known where I want to go in life, not had an incling.

I think this is really what I want to do. I'll be on more money than I'm on now and most importantly I'll be doing something I like. If I get sick of it a year in then never mind lol

do you really want to be bending over engine bays, on your hands and knees and underneath dirty oily cars in a freezing cold garage at the age of 65? I know i dont!

Mert - no, the thought never crossed my mind. Are there even any avenues open for me in that direction?

i want to open my own garage by the time im 30/35, and keep it clean tidy and heated
Root

11th Jun 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sport16v
better off going into engineering; my pay started at £175 a week, in my last year now up to £265 a week and then I will be on full pay, slightly better paid (generally) than mechanics, less messy, more sociable and generally, you are learning alot of the skills that you will learn in a garage without getting pissed off with your own car;

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by sport16v]

That's all good and everything but it's not what I wanna do mate
There aren't many enjoyable jobs, I don't mean jobs that are easy and not stressful, I mean something enjoyable or something
John

11th Jun 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will you enjoy doing services and changing tyres every day for at least 4 years?
Root

11th Jun 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pick up pizza from work, drive, give pizza, collect money, drive, give money back.

It's a lot more exciting than that. Even if I'm doing services and changing tyres for 4 years...I will be learning stuff from odd jobs and from my peers. My step-dad was only a tyre changer yet when my mum's old engine out her fiesta gave up, he lifted a new one in on his own by rope and managed to get it running.

Basically, I want to do this. If I change my mind later, yes you were right...but that will be irrelevant, what will be relevant is the experience I've had and what I've learnt.

I know I'm posting this on a car modding site and most people here have had car-related jobs and then got sick of it, but I have no experience in this and I want to try it for myself. I'm sorry lads, but nothing you say is going to put me off. It's just something I wanna do...

Even if in 2 years I decide it's not for me, I'd have picked up really valuable experience and skills in tricking my own car

So it's a win-win situation for myself, whether I do this forever...and enjoy it...or even if I just learn some great skills to work on my own car...it's better than pizza delivery...whatever you guys say...you can't deny that.

Please be aware that I'm not trying to be rude, arrogant or ignorant but...some things you have to try for yourself, who knows? Maybe this will be the best move I ever make. Maybe not, there's only one way that I will find out..

Cheers anyway lads for all the advice but I really wanna make this move.

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by Root]
DizzyRebel

11th Jun 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well assuming you are over 18 you will struggle to get an apprenticeship anywhere, plus the auto trade is on its arse at the moment with this recession so people are getting laid off left right and centre.

You should do a college course one day a week or something if you want to learn it, but you wont get an apprecticeship anywhere at the moment.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

12th Jun 09 at 00:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking good on you root

Every body ive spoken too has told me not to go for it and its just something i realy want to do

And no one has changed my mind

And i also have a dream of owning my own garage

I wish you look in your apprenteship search and i hope you do get to open your garage one day
Good on you mate
grez12

12th Jun 09 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's what I want to do so stop trying to put me off lol. I'm not bothered about getting my hands dirty.

oi ya lil shit theres plenty of us mechanics in grimsby full of experience and qualifications that find it hard to get the work so you will find it mega hard to get the work and then if ya do the wages arnt great unless ya get @bmw or such like and it takes more than a yr course to learn at collage i did my first 2yrs city n guilds n then got told didnt have enough so had to learn MORE ! then theres MOT tester ect ect its not a bed of roses for us mechanics round here matey do summuts else in my honest oppinion WISH IDE DONE HAIRDRESSING OR SUMMUTS lmao
l15ter

12th Jun 09 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well assuming you are over 18 you will struggle to get an apprenticeship anywhere, plus the auto trade is on its arse at the moment with this recession so people are getting laid off left right and centre.

You should do a college course one day a week or something if you want to learn it, but you wont get an apprecticeship anywhere at the moment.

hes right, your at the bottom of the list, look at the amount of people who have been laid of at all the manufactures, theres not much chance of getting in to a garage. i havnt had any work at all this year, i would listen to those who work in garages on cs, they know what there talking about.
grez12

12th Jun 09 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

totally agree with l15ter ! !

as i said when ya come round earlier do hairdressing ya can always get work! us mechanics are foooooked lol
SVM 286

14th Jun 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I really love cars, I'll admit I don't know everything about them but I've learnt a lot when I've been fixing my car on my own and with my dad's help too.

I really really badly want to start a career in auto mechanics because I really enjoy doing it. I have no previous experience or qualifications though...

any suggestions on what I can do? I don't have the time to take a year long coarse at college because I need to keep bringing money in to pay the bills.

Unless you have a Father/older Brother/Uncle/best friend who owns his own garage and you would be trained and paid well and have a job for life, i'd say run... RUN NOW... as fast as you can.

It's shit. The money is shit. The work is shit. You will work for thickos with more money and easier lives than you and ungrateful wankers who probably know less about cars than you do now and you will hate everywhere you work.

You will wish you had a poncey office job and feel awkward to admitting to your chosen career in mixed company because everyone else you encounter at partys etc will be a web designer, market analyst, or some other flash, arrogant, over paid, under worked wanker type.

You will have grief of some kind on most if not all days. You will more than likely suffer skin, respiratory and back etc ailments as a result of the environment you work in and the substances you come into contact with.

You will be VERY hot in the summer and possibly rather or very cold in the winter.

You WILL learn to hate cars.

You will NEVER be able to afford a big house, nice cars, or any of the other lovely things we'd all like.

You will have to spend over a period of time, more money on tools than most people spend on a car. These tools will periodically be stolen. Usually when uninsured.

You will almost certainly have to work at close quarters with people who not only smell bad, but who you genuinely hate.

On the plus side, as long as you're busy, the days do seem to go quicker than they do in an office and you'll know how and be mostly equipped to fix your own and your family's cars, plus those of your friends, for free of course.

If you're really lucky, you might get to work with someone like JR and it will all have been worth it.
l15ter

15th Jun 09 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Unless you have a Father/older Brother/Uncle/best friend who owns his own garage and you would be trained and paid well and have a job for life.

You will be VERY hot in the summer and possibly rather or very cold in the winter.

this is all true, but the rest he said is more of a personal thing
pete89

15th Jun 09 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to go down the apprenticeship route, contact a company called calley forge. im just coming to the end of my time now and they are the training agency who my apprenticeship is through, and they give you all the support you need and help you find a job. so give them a go if its the apprenticeship route your looking for

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I want a job in auto mechanics... 23 database queries in 0.0134220 seconds