corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Hot tub heating advice - general electric use question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hot tub heating advice - general electric use question
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th May 09 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys.

I want to keep my hot tub close to the max temp for most of the time. so when i decide i want to use it its nearly up to max temp.

Anything between 35-40c is a good temp for it.

My electric comes in 2 bands, primary and secondary. Primary is 25.03p per kw/h and upto around 200kw/h per quater.

After that its secondary which is 10.3p kw/h.

As im using around 700kwh per quater, would i be right to think that my hot tub is really only going to be 10p per kw/h? as im already past the primary normally, any extra will be secondary?

I know roughly that the hot tub loses 1 degree in eat every 4 hours. so technically every 24hrs off would be 6 degree loss.

I know that it heats up at roughly 1.5/2 degrees per hour the heater is on. therefore i only need the heating on for around 3-4 hours per day to maintain temp.

If im right above with the cost per kw/h that would mean 20p per hour it is on, 4 hours would be 80p?

Am i right or completely off the mark lol. sorry for essay

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dan
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or would it be more cost effective to leave the heater on 24/7? as it will cut out when up to temp.

John

26th May 09 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will cost 25p for the hot tub for the first 200kw/h.

1 degree every 4 hours doesn't sound like a lot, it would have to be super insulated for that.
Simon

26th May 09 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this the one that looks like a blow up paddling pool? It doesn't look like it would hold heat that well, what's the build-up of the sides/top?
Dan
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all inflatable yep. i thought no way is that well insulated. but i left it at 35 degrees at 5.30pm last night. went out to it at 9am today and it was 31 so had lost 4 degrees in 16 1/2 hrs. which is exactly as the spec says.

Dont get u there john? im already using way over the threshold. so any extra im using is really only 10p per kw/h surely?

John

26th May 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't start over the threshold, you start at 0 so if you have the tub on within that first 200kw/h's it will be costing you 25p, from what it looks to use it will be negligible anyway.
Dan
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know technically thats right, but as im over it every quater anyway, ill not be noticing a rise of 25p per kw/h its using will i? ill just notice the 10p extras??

Dan
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All i really wanna know is how much my bill is gonna go up each quater lol

Limecat
Banned

26th May 09 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bear in mind you are trying to calculate it based on heat loss during what is undoubtedly the best weeks weather we have had this year.
Dan
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

weathers been crap here lol.

C2RL R

26th May 09 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could work this out for you had you asked 2 years ago but i've forgotten how to do it. at a guess i would say you are way off. although your math seems correct, the physics of it don't seem correct. the hotter the water is the faster it will cool. there are loads of other aspects to it too. they probably tested the insulation in a room of the same ambient temp that the water heat was set to. that is why it loses so little heat.
dannymccann

27th May 09 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How the hell can it only lose 1deg every 4 hours
ChazSXi

27th May 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think we worked out ours costs about a quid a day. Ours runs on a cycle tho..once in the mornin to bring upto temp...and then slowly it goes down during the day if not used

We put it on about 2 hours before we wanna use it to get it back upto temp

This is only running the circulation pump and not the jets tho so i dunno how urs works?

Dont forget to test chlorine everyday and when u put in new water chuck in a non-chlorine shock Id change the water once evry two weeks if its used daily too

[Edited on 27-05-2009 by ChazSXi]
Dan
Premium Member

27th May 09 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt belive it either that 1 degree drop every 4 hours. Ive been turning the heat off at like 5pm most days so far and its been around 35. by 9am the next day its back down to 29/30 degrees.

Thats with last night being cold and raining.

Didnt realise about the chlorine chaz until today. went out and its started to turn a bit green. will it respond to algicide and chlorine, or do i need to change it?

Dan
Premium Member

27th May 09 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for how it runs, it has a circulation pump which is either via filter and heater, or just filter.

Then it has the pump for te jets.

I must admit, im struggling to get it up to full temp. probs because im to tight to get it there by leaving heating on overnight lol

ChazSXi

27th May 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I didnt belive it either that 1 degree drop every 4 hours. Ive been turning the heat off at like 5pm most days so far and its been around 35. by 9am the next day its back down to 29/30 degrees.

Thats with last night being cold and raining.

Didnt realise about the chlorine chaz until today. went out and its started to turn a bit green. will it respond to algicide and chlorine, or do i need to change it?

id change the water dude. Wadge in a non-chlorine shock as soon as its full and then when gettin to about 30 degrees stick in some chlorine..

U buy little sticks which test chlorine/ph etc so you can keep an eye on it all
Dan
Premium Member

27th May 09 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea i have the test sticks. but it says use once aweek. think i need to use more. Whats the njon chlorine shock all about

ChazSXi

27th May 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Yea i have the test sticks. but it says use once aweek. think i need to use more. Whats the njon chlorine shock all about

ah i test ours everyday and normally have to top up chlorine

Use non-chlorine shock as makes it easier to stay on top of chlorine and means that you can ues it quicker after adding...as the amount the chlorin shock has means it takes like 24 hours before you can use it

Shock basically removes the shit from the water that you dont wanna be in straight from the tap

New Poll