corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Astra bonnet vents cracking on bonnet.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra bonnet vents cracking on bonnet.
Tony

User status: Offline
13th Feb 03 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys.

I have seen quite a few pics of Corsas out there with various bonnet vents fitted. I have the Astra style moulded onto my bonnet on the sides. The holes were made in the bonnet to take the vents. They have been riveted with 4 rivets around the vent to keep it down. Fibreglass was then used to mould the vent onto the bonnet and cover the vent lines and rivets as well as prevent water getting between the vent and bonnet for rust! The work really looked neat, but I have noticed that there are now small cracks around the vent area. How should these vents be fitted then? Anybody out there with ideas and experience???

Tony
AdamF
Premium Member

13th Feb 03 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the only way but eventually it cracks. filler cracks when it is flexed hence when you open the bonnet it flexes and filler cracks after a period of time.

think of filler as glass you cant flex it and if you drop it, hit it ect it will break. its just one of the many downsides of modding a car mate. take it back to the body shop iam sure they will sort it.

my advice is to open the bonnet slowly with one hand either side of the bonnetfirmly to reduce flexing
deano

13th Feb 03 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will this problem happen to spoilers as well after a period of time?
AdamF
Premium Member

13th Feb 03 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iam afraid so mate. just dont slam boot to hard and shite but after a while it will.
Corsa_Mel

14th Feb 03 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I gave up on my astra gsi vents as they just kept on cracking... took it back to the bodyshop then few weeks after they just crack again.

Think u can get proper fibreglass vents which supposidly flex more than the cheap ones. The only other way I know of is to actually cut out the whole and place the vents completely flush with the bonnet so theres a slight gap inbetween the vent and the bonnet. This is how there fitted standard onto sporty cars.
3CorsaMeal

14th Feb 03 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can get a more rubbery compound filler which allows for flex

New Poll