corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » laptop problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author laptop problems
jibjob

User status: Offline
9th Apr 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my laptops started being slow and has problems playing videos. eg. i can be watching 4OD and all of a sudden the video will freeze whilst the sound keeps going or the video will slow and become out of sync with the sound. how can i solve this? i still have plenty of memory left, internet connection is top notch so i cant see the problem. i heard about formatting my laptop might help but dont know where to start any help?

also i cant update windows or avg anti virus for some reason it says "connection with update server has failed, make sure internet is active, run update late, make sure parameters are set correctly". well the internets on and it never updates so it must be the parameters. ive tried following the online guide but it doesnt work. any help?

i have a HP 530 with windows vista home basic.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Apr 09 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I used to use AVG (the free one) it used to come up with the couldn't connect to server message a few times a week. Windows Update should be OK though?

Tell us what's running on startup, maybe we can identify the problem as possible bandwidth stealing malware?

- press the Windows key and R on your keyboard to open the run box (or click on the Start icon and click in where it says Start Search

1. type in msinfo32 and hit return

2. when the System Information box comes up, double click on Software Environment and then click once on Startup Programs

3. select all the items in the list (press Control and A), then copy them to the clipboard (Control and C)

4. paste them in here (Control and V)
jibjob

10th Apr 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4oD "c:\program files\kontiki\khost.exe" -all Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\reader_sl.exe" Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
AdobeUpdater c:\program files\common files\adobe\updater5\adobeupdater.exe BETTLEY\Marka HKU\S-1-5-21-3783773331-28812092-423221684-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
AVG8_TRAY c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgtray.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
DVD Check c:\progra~1\interv~1\dvdche~1\dvdcheck.exe Public Common Startup
HotKeysCmds c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HP Health Check Scheduler c:\program files\hewlett-packard\hp health check\hphc_scheduler.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HP Software Update c:\program files\hp\hp software update\hpwuschd2.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
hpWirelessAssistant %programfiles%\hewlett-packard\hp wireless assistant\hpwamain.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
IgfxTray c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
iTunesHelper "c:\program files\itunes\ituneshelper.exe" Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
kdx c:\program files\kontiki\khost.exe -all BETTLEY\Marka HKU\S-1-5-21-3783773331-28812092-423221684-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MsnMsgr "c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background BETTLEY\Marka HKU\S-1-5-21-3783773331-28812092-423221684-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher onenote 2007 screen clipper and launcher.lnk BETTLEY\Marka Startup
Persistence c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
QlbCtrl %programfiles%\hewlett-packard\hp quick launch buttons\qlbctrl.exe /start Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
QuickTime Task "c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Sidebar c:\program files\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe /autorun BETTLEY\Marka HKU\S-1-5-21-3783773331-28812092-423221684-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SunJavaUpdateSched "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe" Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
swg c:\program files\google\googletoolbarnotifier\googletoolbarnotifier.exe BETTLEY\Marka HKU\S-1-5-21-3783773331-28812092-423221684-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SynTPEnh c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
TalkTalk "c:\program files\talktalk\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /p talktalk Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
WAWifiMessage %programfiles%\hewlett-packard\hp wireless assistant\wifimsg.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Windows Defender %programfiles%\windows defender\msascui.exe -hide Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
jibjob

10th Apr 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there you go mate followed your instructions exactly. the other thing that wont updat is live messenger it just says failed everytime
Sam
Premium Member

10th Apr 09 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well all the stuff above ^ seems legit...

Out of interest have you had these problems before you installed the 4OD program?
jibjob

10th Apr 09 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it used to be not too bad it was a bit slow sometimes but not as bad as it is now. i'll delete it and see if i get any improvements. how did you solve the avg problem?
Russ

10th Apr 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

type msconfig in run and turn apps off from there
jibjob

11th Apr 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothings working!

when i go on windows update its says "check for updates" i click the button it spends a couple of seconds thinking about it and then comes back with the red shield and cannot check for updates!

AVG still does the same it still wont connect to server.

Live messenger still fails when trying to update to a newer version.

Windows defender is the same i click on check for updates and it just says it cannot check for updates!

Im running out of ideas and all the time im getting more and more virus's on my laptop so please help!

I went on msconfig but havent got a clue where to start.

please help!! cheers

New Poll