corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » hard drive recovery techniques

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author hard drive recovery techniques
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jan 09 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Got a hard drive i need to retrieve as much data as possible from, the drive sounds like its suffering from physical damage (it makes fun noises) so I'm interested if anyone here has tried any successful techniques?

I'm not interested in keeping the drive, I just want to rip off as much as possible, accessing the file system isnt a problem but I'm getting input/output errors very quickly.

thanks for reading.
Ian W

27th Jan 09 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a drive die a few months ago, was completely dead, wouldn't even power up.

Put it in the freezer for a few hours, plugged it back in and ripped over 100GB of data off it

I never believed it until I tried it but it works !
willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I keep reading the freezer trick but thats the last effort sort of thing, so far I've been able to rip off only a few meg of data without it throwing up loads of errors (running off a live CD too)

Also this drive spins up at the moment!

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by willay]
Whittie

27th Jan 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's actually wrong with the HD if its spinning up?

My friend got over 50 gigs of info from a dead harddrive. I'm not sure how, i'll give him a text for you.
willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its in a laptop so more then likely its taken a hit and the headers/arm thing is hitting the platters of the disk. Sounds like its very near to mechanical failure.
Whittie

27th Jan 09 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eeeeek, ok.

I'll let you know what he says anyway, his was a desktop hd, not that it makes a lot of difference.

Did you find this laptop on a train with a government logo on the side?
willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wish.

Done quite a few hard drive recovery jobs lately but they had never suffered from mechanical damage. I was able to recovery over 100gb of data from a fucked external hard drive on the weekend but that was the usb controller that had gone on that! Dont really want to freeze someone elses hard drive
Whittie

27th Jan 09 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got a reply

"Put it in the freezer inbetween the ice lolly's and a chicken over night, and then used it"

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by Whittie]
willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ARGH
John

27th Jan 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt it'll work if its physically failing but GRC's Spinrite is an amazing program, can recover data long after other programs have given up.

After that taking the platers out and sticking them in a working drive but that's extremely difficult to do without a clean room.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spinrite does work a treat like John said!

Have you tired removing it from the laptop and using an adaptor to plug it into a desktop as a secondary HDD?

Thats how I've always recovered data from laptop drives, used to use one of THESE

But then bought myself an easy IDE connector USB - IDE worth a try if you haven't already!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got one of them coming in the post actually dan

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
got one of them coming in the post actually dan

Saved my arse a few times!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i borrowed my mates one last week but it blew up so I've had to order his replacement.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine wasn't one from Hong Kong just first I found on eBay, Easy IDE is basically the same just a bit more professional looking!

If you get it plugged into a desktop as a secondary drive will give you longer to get the files off no OS to boot blah blah!

willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well doesnt bother me as i'm booting off a live linux cd in the first place so not booting off the hard drive.

then I mount the local hard drive (fucked one) then i mount the usb external and try to copy the files across....
Dom

27th Jan 09 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use something like GetBackData (there are two versions - NTFS and FAT), it has an image tool where it'll create an image (non-compressed) of the whole drive and then it'll try and recover the data from the image rather than the drive.

Creating the image takes 30minutes or so, but the actual data recovery can take up to 24hrs+.
I've used it when a drive failed a few years ago when the drive failed to boot. After sticking it in the freezer (in a air-tight bag) for a few hours, it lasted just long enough for an image to be made. I managed to get around 90% of the data back using GetDataBack.
willay
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 16:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that free?
Tim
Site Administrator

27th Jan 09 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used R-Studio a while back to recover a drive (bloody IBM DeskStar clunking -- took it awhile but it didn't give up). Since then I've always been ultra-paranoid and run RAID on everything

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by Tim]
Deadude

27th Jan 09 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Used R-Studio a while back to recover a drive (bloody IBM DeathStar clunking -- took it awhile but it didn't give up). Since then I've always been ultra-paranoid and run RAID on everything

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by Tim]

/fixed
Dom

27th Jan 09 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
is that free?

Can be
Cosmo

27th Jan 09 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have used GetDataBack myself a few times and always managed to get what Ive wanted. Saying that there werent on drives that had a possible mechanical fault.

New Poll