corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Vista + Games

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vista + Games
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   10th Sep 08 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This might sound daft but....Would the following spec PC be able to happily run vista and all the toys, plus be able to play games at a 360 equivalent or better. I'm apprehensive about using vista, but I want to

Quad Core
4GB RAM
9600GT 1GB

Cheers
John

10th Sep 08 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip as long as you've got some ram vista runs as fast as xp does.

Its the people with 1 gig and under that complain.
Brett
Premium Member

10th Sep 08 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, Cheers John

BUT, is it not still a case of, it'd run faster with XP? Or is it more that once you're past the 1GB RAM threshold, you wouldn't even notice?
John

10th Sep 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are stats to say that xp is so many % faster than vista in certain stuff but with 4gb of ram you'll never notice.

I was originally apprehensive about moving over to vista but now i'm used to it I don't like going back to xp on one of my slower laptops.
Brett
Premium Member

10th Sep 08 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent, cheers
ed

10th Sep 08 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing I've noticed about with Vista is the start-up time. People will say XP boots quicker, if you're timing it from when you turn the computer on to the time you see your desktop then it's probably faster, but I've always found that XP takes a few mins to settle and get productive, where as Vista may leave you with a loading screen for a few more seconds, but once you see the desktop you're away and going.

As for your setup, you'll be fine, a friend of mine has just built something to a similar spec and it is great!
Russ

10th Sep 08 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate using xp at work when i have Vista Ultimate at home, also hate using there single core cpu's and pc2700 memory and tfts that dont support HDCP etc
Brett
Premium Member

10th Sep 08 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
One thing I've noticed about with Vista is the start-up time. People will say XP boots quicker, if you're timing it from when you turn the computer on to the time you see your desktop then it's probably faster, but I've always found that XP takes a few mins to settle and get productive, where as Vista may leave you with a loading screen for a few more seconds, but once you see the desktop you're away and going.

As for your setup, you'll be fine, a friend of mine has just built something to a similar spec and it is great!

I see what you're saying. Vista it is then. Got a dodgy copy of ultimate from a guy at work. It'll update etc ok, won't it? Or is it worth just buying it?

I was also toying with making it 8GB ram. I just wanted a fairly decent machine that could also double up as my gaming machine, seeing as it's hooked up to my tv, it'll be no different to playing on the 360.
Russ

10th Sep 08 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will update frine. it'll be the dell OEM.

8gb.. your gaming would be happier with a better gfx cqard
Brett
Premium Member

10th Sep 08 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What card, russ?
Russ

10th Sep 08 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on how much you wanna spend. and what games you wanna play. 9800gtx will be more than enough, but gtx 280.. if you have the cash to flash, or radeon 4870
ed

10th Sep 08 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8gb would = an x64 system. I've been told that Staples are practically giving away x64 copies of Vista.
Cavey

11th Sep 08 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just sorted myself a new machine, installed the WinBorg version of XP64 and i'm not impressed, so sourcing a copy of Vista x64 ultimate at the moment, hopefully be a bit better for it

New Poll