corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Problems With Overheating

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problems With Overheating
ianic SRi

User status: Offline
27th May 08 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a corse 1.4 SRi 8v (c14se) and about a month ago it overheated cracking the radiator so i changed the radiator on it and all was good for about 2 weeks.

then last week my car started overheating massively again and the fan did not kick in so its been off the road for a week.

there is a small crack in one of the hoses connected to the radiator but that can't be the problem surely?

all i can think of is the thermostat has broke and that it will need changing. Also the fan should kick in if its overheating and it isn't. grrr my bloody car lol

thanks for any help
eug

27th May 08 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the thermostat out and try it by putting it in a cup of boiling water and see if it opens
ianic SRi

27th May 08 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i've been told to do that, where is the thermostat located and is it easy to take off?

also i've been told that i may not have bled the new radiator in correctly, but it worked well for 2 weeks.
eug

27th May 08 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i only have a 12 16v and on that its a self bleeding system so not to sure mate but the thermostat is behind the cam belt i think and just need to remove the rear cover to get to it? obviously water will piss out when you take it of if you havent drained it already
ianic SRi

27th May 08 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guna try and get the thermostat out in 5 minutes. Surely this does not explain the fan not coming on though?

am pissed off i've only had the car like 2 months lol, want to put a new engine in it (x16xe) but insurance would be mad and theres no way i'm driving around with it undeclared for 9 months
eug

27th May 08 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it could be the thermo switch not working. that should be on the radiator. i had my car 7 months and its never been right now i have a new problem which ya prob read already? i wouldnt bother fitting a 1.6 cos my mates got one and its not great. well it didnt impress me anyway. sounded good round 6k though
ianic SRi

27th May 08 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is there a way of checking the thermo switch?
ianic SRi

27th May 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me and my mate just had a look for the thermostat and had no idea whatsoever. think i'll leave it to my dad haha. I need a haynes manual i've decided.
eug

27th May 08 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know. maybe put a volt meter on it and run the car till the fan should come on. when the thermo switch is off the volt meter wont read anything and when it should turn on the meter will beep or show a voltage depending on the setting your on. if it just overheats and no fan going, its a sure bet the switch is broke

if ya can make sence of that?
ianic SRi

28th May 08 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turned out to be the switch that makes the fan turn on. cost £7.50 and £6 for anew hose, all in all im quite happy that its working again lol

dad said that if it needs any more money spending on it we're selling it lol some rule where if the repairs cost 10% of the car then its not worth it. Something him and his dad did when they were younger

thats only on cheap cars btw
Jonsey

17th Aug 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you tried checking your fuses? i had the same problem and my fuse had blown for my fan.. replaced and now working =]

New Poll