corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Damp in bedroom

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Damp in bedroom
dannymccann

User status: Offline
7th Feb 08 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi there. I live in a rented student house. I have the downstair bedroom. When i moved in I thought it was musty, thought nothing of it, just thinking it was dust. Ive been moved in for a while and noticed a bit of mould appearing on the window sills and a little on the wall, wipe it off and leave the window on the latch at night to get rid of the condensation.

The smell has come back, its a nasty smell. I pulled my bed away from the wall and found this :

I put my bed where it is about 3 months ago, before Xmas, and when I put it there there was nothing there at all. In sunlight you can also see the paint is a different colour, its darker where the mould is growing and its a fairly level line, and to the touch it feels damp and cold, so in my very limited experience or knowledge this is rising damp?

Ive told the agent about the mould problem and they havent been round yet. AFAIK its bad for breathing and joints? Im going to take some photos in tomorrow of what ive found and see fi they get their arses in gear.

Any advice? Sorry about the essay
richardworrall
Premium Member

7th Feb 08 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they need to sort this ASAP, can cause illnesses and they are held responsible. Go to the council as well, theyll force the landlord to do something about it.
dannymccann

7th Feb 08 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been reading around tinternet, people blame a lot of it on drying clothes and spending a lot of time in the room, but I honestly dont think its that, because to dry clothes I have the radiator on, which means it gets proper hot in ehre, so the window gets opened? So as far as I can see its not that
MarkM

7th Feb 08 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could just be a lack of fresh air circulating...are there air vents?
Cosmo

7th Feb 08 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fact its along the bottom in a fairly obvious line would probably suggest its due to an exterior problem. Id guess at a lack of damp proof course, but couldnt tell without seeing it.
MarkM

7th Feb 08 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have seen that problem resolved with air vents added...
dannymccann

7th Feb 08 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have bought a couple of dehumidifiers, will be putting one on my window sill and leaving one in the bathroom, going to be cleaning it off on sunday with some bleach and then the little gadgets will be here so will give them a go

As Cosmo says, there is definetly a line it follows, ive been told to go outside in the morning and see if there are any air bricks outside and see if they are clogged up with anything
Andrew

15th Feb 08 at 02:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not drying clothes that has caused that. When i was a student i used to be in my flat 20 hours a day, hang wet clothes about and cook. I've not even had to replace dis-coloured wallpaper from it.

Has to be a leak somewhere to cause damp like that! We had it years ago on a new build property where the houses had been built during the winter months. Took a few years to dry out.
AndyKent

15th Feb 08 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3 things you can do to stop damp/mould like that.

Heating, ventilation or insulation. Pull the bed away a bit, open the window a little more and ensure the room is generally warm.

You are highly unlikely to have an external wall problem on the first floor unless the wall is joined to a flat roof or you have lots of plant growth on the outside at that point.
Gregor

15th Feb 08 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clean it with bleach for now , but something isnt right there at all.

Check for cracks in the roughcast outside, or a leaking gutter/downpipe around that area that my be going straight onto the roughcast.

Are you ground floor ?
pow
Premium Member

16th Feb 08 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He has the downstairs bedroom. TBF I'd be surprised if that isnt damp

New Poll