corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » website wookies

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author website wookies
Bart

User status: Offline
18th Jan 08 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a smallish website for our business at http://www.bridgesltd.co.uk

Id like to be able to add a small section where customers can login and perhaps download a few pdf files (manuals etc). It just needs to be a small document management system with basic logins etc.
Im really not comfortable with programming etc, but if there was a small system that runs from sql/cgi I would be comfortable installing that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the sort of thing im looking for?
Shane

18th Jan 08 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its only basic and low security they it can just be a script with a user and password, and everone could have the same login
Nismo

18th Jan 08 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a mate that works for Bridges

As Shane said, you could just setup a basic page with a default username / password and they can just download from that, no need reallly to have a unique login for each customer if its going to be the same things they download.
Bart

18th Jan 08 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had a play around and i think I want something like plone http://plone.org but this wont run as a cgi app type of thing, but it will run on windows.
So im considering installing it on a spare PC here, and just forwarding a link on our website back to this pc in the office.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Jan 08 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PC in the office would need to be external facing and kept alive, so you have some security and reliability issues with your network to sort there.

What type of hosting is it?
Bart

18th Jan 08 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks guys, I think http://drupal.org/ will do what I want. content management and such. easy SQL install from a directory and always live + backed up my by ISP.
Bart

18th Jan 08 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I am using a number of MySQL applications online, is there a way to empty just the contents of a particular app? All i can see is a mass of tables. Im using PhpMyAdmin.
drax

18th Jan 08 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just set up a page on the hosting with the PDF's or multiple pages with certain PDF's

Then in the hosting control, set up a access group, allocate users and usernames to that group and then password protect the directory using that user group, all inside the hosting side of things.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 08 at 03:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the contents aren't changing the htaccess and some static pages with links to the docs is the way to go.

Re multiple tables to go with multiple apps - this is normal if you're sharing the db. Ideally you would have a few db not just one with loads of disjoint tables but it doesn't matter aside from how it looks admin side.

Most web apps have an option to prefix the table name with something, certainly board software so you can have one db but install a live version and a test one, so you end up with, for example live_bbmembers table and test_bbmembers table where live_ and test_ are the prefixes.

Assuming the apps support it and you can faff about altering stuff and the app doesn't break (actually easy - alter app config then rename the right tables)

Emptying them is as difficult as knowing which tables relate to which apps. If you don't know that you're in a worse position, but it shouldn't be hard to do with access to the PHP source code.

You'll also have some CREATE TABLE statements somewhere I would imagine. That'll tell you what is going on when you install the app.

New Poll