corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Website Designs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Website Designs
James

User status: Offline
12th Sep 07 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to be creating a website for a friend who is starting up a business holding art and crafts activity days for toddlers and she wants a website.

I CBA to write one from scratch as I dont really have the time so I'm going to use a template.

What do people think of this:

http://images.p7d6.arixmedia.com/pr/AX0400CY.jpg

I think it needs to look smart and professional but also have a fun arty kind of feel to it.

Discuss
Rus

12th Sep 07 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres good points there and you should go with it. although i'd get rid of that stupid flower, silly clouds and ott rainbow. as they all take up too much space. keep the rainbow there, just make it less wavey and push all the banner stuff(sky/grass) up. but i've always been a fan of these templates. as in the way the text is displayed. very open canvas.
M4tt_Envoy

12th Sep 07 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good, where do you find web templates?
James

12th Sep 07 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thats a premium one that costs money, its only £13 for all HTML/CSS, PSD image files etc but it means you don't have to write "This is a template from blah blah blah" at the bottom of every page.

I use this site.

http://www.freewebtemplates.com/
AndyKent

12th Sep 07 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for something less stylish, more child-like to reflect it being for much younger kids.

That one looks a bit gay TBH. Can quite imagine greenpeace having a website like that.
James

12th Sep 07 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aPk
I'd go for something less stylish, more child-like to reflect it being for much younger kids.

That one looks a bit gay TBH. Can quite imagine greenpeace having a website like that.

Yeah I thought that, but then I thought it would be the parents looking at it rather than the children so wanted it to look quite smart?
AndyKent

12th Sep 07 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes and no, a parent would be looking at it for the kid, so kiddy stuff would be important rather than design I'd think.....
drax

12th Sep 07 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant be arsed to sit down for a few hours and code up a website design?
James

12th Sep 07 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drax
you cant be arsed to sit down for a few hours and code up a website design?

Nope, I write software all day long and I cant be arsed to do it in my spare time. Plus it would take more than a few hours to come up with something like that website.
drax

12th Sep 07 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get any sites by the way that you dont feel like doing, or are too large for you to take on, id be happy to have a look if you send them my way and see If i can help them out instead.
Cosmo

12th Sep 07 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you get any sites by the way that you dont feel like doing, or are too large for you to take on, id be happy to have a look if you send them my way and see If i can help them out instead.

Im sure the 'help you out' price James is charging is probably 100x less than you would though.
James

12th Sep 07 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

Im sure the 'help you out' price James is charging is probably 100x less than you would though.
I'm charging £0, beat that
drax

12th Sep 07 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill actually do a bespoke original website design, its what I do for a living.

And I said any business he doesn't want...

Its not like I said give me all of your business.

I do what i do for prices, because people will pay for quality work which has had thought put into it for them, when they request it.

I'm not saying the things you do James wouldn't be quality work, but you are a software developer aren't you?

Secondly this is what I do day in day out, 365 days of the year, I have to pump out up to 8+ more new websites a week where I work, and work on up to 15 a day.
James

12th Sep 07 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am indeed a software developer, I can do a decent bespoke site if I can be arsed, I do web stuff at work sometimes. I just cant be arsed doing private stuff anymore. It doesnt really interest me anymore, i'm only doing this because its my sister, any further work I will send your way
drax

12th Sep 07 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are some absolutely mint salaries kicking about for your line of work, kinda makes me regret leaving my IT practitioners course, but I never got into software coding, preferred the arty and web developing / coding milarky. 0

Paul_J

12th Sep 07 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha I'm the opposite, it's all about the code. I could never be bothered with the arty stuff...

Although these days the line's are blurring with software design.

New .Net Framework, contains things such as Windows Presentation Foundation - where you have a much more web style approach to making the user interface.

Previously most software looks similar, your typical window's style controls, but the future could be looking at completely original designs.

That's why I think graphic designers / art background will become more and more important in software development.

As a result the current piece of software I'm working on will contain many features of this, I aim to make the software's GUI completely unlike normal windows applications, giving user friendly interesting ways to control and interact with the data / controls.
AndyKent

13th Sep 07 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nicely copied and pasted from the client spec

New Poll