corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Print Spooler Service?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Print Spooler Service?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Apr 07 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reformatted a colleague's home PC, and reinstalled windows using their own copy of XP Home. Got SP2 and all updates whilst I had it at home (since she doesn't have a web connection at home) Took it to her house, installed printer, but couldn't because "Print Spooler" was not active, went into msconfig, in services tab - and it was listed, but not enabled.

I fixed it by going into add/remove programs and Windows Components, and installing additional Network and Printing components. Printer installed, tested and working, I left.

Few hours later she phones me to tell me she switched the printer off, turned it on again to use it - now the printer is no longer detected by the PC, and when she tries to install it she gets the Print Spooler error again! Goes into windows components, and the additional network/printer bollocks is still installed, tried removing then adding that - and it still doesn't work!!

Installed XP on hundreds of machines before, but never encountered this before!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Bart

User status: Offline
12th Apr 07 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try this...
delete the printer if its there (from windows printers/faxes)

Then go into the c:\windows\system32\spool\printers
and delete anything thats there.

run the installation file again for the printer (ideally from the manufacturers website so its a fresh new driver). dont plug the printer in until it asks.

see if that makes any difference.

[Edited on 12-04-2007 by Bart]

New Poll