corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » RAID SATA HDD

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RAID SATA HDD
Jules

User status: Offline
24th Mar 07 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had a RAID / SATA HDD before (not even sure if I've got the termanology correct ) but as I'm running out of space on my D drive I have three options - back up everything onto DVDR's (which I can't be arsed to do), swap the 300GB HDD for a bigger one (which I can't be arsed to do) or get another HDD to chuck stuff on - as both channels are full I guess I'll have to use the RAID SATA ports - how would I go about this?
Simply plug and play (so long as it's enabled in BIOS)?

12vMatt

24th Mar 07 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty much just plug and play, you would probably need to set up the raid contollers bios though, its a long time since i had to do mine though so i cant remember how to set it up, your instruction manual should tell you
DarkBahamut

24th Mar 07 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, it just the same as the other ports as long as you dont wnat to use RAID itself. As long as the channels are turned on the BIOS then it should work without any problems at all.
ed

24th Mar 07 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RAID's something you don't want to be using in this case. It's for data backup and speeding things up, but you use 2 or maybe 4 hard disks and only see one.

SATA disks are plug and play thought. All you need to do is fit it in the bay and plug it in and it will work. You may need to turn the SATA port on in the BIOS, but it should be set to auto by default and just work.
John

24th Mar 07 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have ide drives in just now and you board has sata raid, you should still be able to use sata drives without being configured as raid.
12vMatt

24th Mar 07 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you have ide drives in just now and you board has sata raid, you should still be able to use sata drives without being configured as raid.

yup, the raid controller will still need to be set up though, when i set up a SATA hard drive on an SATA RAID controller i needed to set the raid bios to raid0 (i think) and then tell it there was only one drive
DarkBahamut

24th Mar 07 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should never ever have to do that unless you're setting up a RAID array
ed

24th Mar 07 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RAID 0 is striped with no parity not turned off. You only set up the RAID level if you have enabled RAID on your BIOS as the RAID controller is setup on it's own.
12vMatt

24th Mar 07 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarkBahamut
You should never ever have to do that unless you're setting up a RAID array

it depends on the computer, my motherboards SATA ports were sata raid not just sata so it needed to be set up as a raid array even though there was only one drive, this was a few years ago though so more modern motherboards with normal sata (not raid) wouldnt need raid setting up
Jules

24th Mar 07 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks fellow geeks - I shall search out a SATA HDD in due course

New Poll