corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Personal backing up

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Personal backing up
Melville

User status: Offline
14th Oct 05 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok after 2 Hard drive failures in recent months I was thinking that its probably time that I backed the whole HDD up!! At the minute I just back my music etc up when Iremember and have time. I have been reading somewhere that its possible to backup the whole partition? If so can this be done automatically or even updated as and when files are changed? (Not totally sure, but think it might have to be raid for this??) I know you can get software that will backup up just your files but its a right faff on having to install windows and my programs again. Any one come across anything like this before?

Thanks, Mark

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by Melville]
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Online
14th Oct 05 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if you export your registry to a file every now and then, you could just copy your program files back off the backup, import the registry settings, and theoretically it should work.

Or I could be talking shit, and theres a better way to do it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Oct 05 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would be investing in a RAID setup if you want to mirror data, no messing. Also - find out why the drives are dying - bad electricity (get a UPS), overheat in the case - new case/don't overclock etc.
Cybermonkey

15th Oct 05 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I would be investing in a RAID setup if you want to mirror data, no messing. Also - find out why the drives are dying - bad electricity (get a UPS), overheat in the case - new case/don't overclock etc.

UPS yeah we arent all loaded Ian
SetH

15th Oct 05 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regardign a RAID setup on a home desktop pc what would be the most economical way to implement this?
John

15th Oct 05 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raid controller if your mboard doesn't have one and a couple of drives.
Quite a lot of the sata boards seem to have raid controllers built in.
John

15th Oct 05 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=11989000763&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=96975
Cybermonkey

16th Oct 05 at 04:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=11989000763&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=96975

thats pretty cheap
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Oct 05 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Category=&SubCat=&Name=ups&Page=1&SortBy=1
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?price1=0&price2=&btnP=Go&tab=wf&scoring=p&q=ups+va&cat=1760

Take your pick. Cheaper than a Playstation and more useful.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Oct 05 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Regardign a RAID setup on a home desktop pc what would be the most economical way to implement this?
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?hl=en&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&tab=wf&q=ide+raid+controller+card
Melville

19th Oct 05 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

As far as RAID goes, Im pretty new to it and dont know hardly anything about it. I have read that there are different types or RAID "systems, something like RAID-0, RAID-1 all the way up to 5? What do I need for my problem and should I look out for anything when setting it up.

Thanks again.
MarkW

19th Oct 05 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH

get a few SATA HDD's and a motherboard with SATA RAID or a SATA RAID card, could probably set the whole lot up for just over £100 depending on size of drives etc
Bart

19th Oct 05 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Category=&SubCat=&Name=ups&Page=1&SortBy=1
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?price1=0&price2=&btnP=Go&tab=wf&scoring=p&q=ups+va&cat=1760

Take your pick. Cheaper than a Playstation and more useful.

indeed.
Ian has mentioned using a UPS so you get alot more 'cleaner' electricity without any voltage spikes etc which is suprisingly common.

We're using quite a big UPS at work, just to run the most important PC there and support all of the network/switch equipment.

New Poll