corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » sat nav people

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author sat nav people
Adam C
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Mar 07 at 22:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do work at halfords unfortunatly so i do have to know my satnavs.

tom tom 710 is a good bit of kit, bluetooth, euro streetlevel mapping, speed camera updates and traffic black spot updates.
the cameras it picks up is fixed ones only.

Good bit of kit.
All the data is on a SD card.

Also i wouldnt rule out the Garmin units, 660 is a top of the range unit, euro mapping, bluetooth, speed camera and traffic blackspot updates, also has live traffic updates aswell which is decent.
All the data is already pre-loaded on the unit.
You also have the garmin lock on it which is good, its so you can lock the unit with your own pin number so in case of theft the thieves cant finds there way back to your house or even use the unit.
Its also more slimmer than the 710.
Also an advantage of garmin is that if you have any problems with it you can take it back to halfords and they will give you a new one, where as with the tomtom they have to send it off to be repaired.

[Edited on 14-03-2007 by Green Thing]

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
jas-tec

14th Mar 07 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what do u think i need by looking at thise post then mate i travel alot aboard and around the uk i am realy getting lost on these now
jas-tec

14th Mar 07 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so the garmin unit 660 is the best one for aboard as well does it have mem card at 399 must be the top of the range for that price is the 710 the same sort of thing then mate
Adam C
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tom tom and garmin are equally good units, but its really your choice.
The garmin 660 is i think £400 or £440 i think, cant remember so if you can afford the tomtom 710 then go for that one.

The good thing about the garmin 6060 is that it tells you the roads and streets to turn on.
For exmaple the 710 will say "In 500 yards turn right"

Where as the 660 will say "In 500 yards turn right onto truro road."

you get the idea, its up to you if you want that extra stuff with the 660 or not, but if not then go for the 710.

Adam C
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tomtom910 is the top of the range unit for tomtom but it is the same as the 710 but it comes with usa and canadian mapping, if you dont need it then go for the 710.

with the 660 you dont get a memory card, as its all built in.

EDIT: the 910 also comes with a language coverter so if you need to ask for dircections in french then it might come in handy

jas-tec

14th Mar 07 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get the idea mate i think i might stick with the 710 thanks i like it saying turn right 500yards and that then when u get to that point it then tells u turn right can i use the 710 from france to romania straight there say from france in the halford book it says about the traffic alerts can u get them on it if u say download them. does it have mem card or is it built in

[Edited on 14-03-2007 by jas-tec]
Adam C
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 23:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, i would double check the counrties it does though, check the tom tom website, even though it says euor mapping it only gives you the main countires of euorpe.
So double check.

The euro mapping for the 710 should be all on the one SD card i believe.

It has a memeroy card, and you can download extras from the tom tom website, but they do charge for them. and if you wanted to update the mapping you have to buy that from tom tom aswell.

jas-tec

14th Mar 07 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers any way can u get the traffic alerts on it as well as speed cameras
Adam C
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 710 comes with traffic blackspot alerts, its a gps database only, which will alert you to known bad traffic areas, it wont tell you that theres been a crash up ahead which is causing traffic jams.

It requires another arial if you wanted to pick up live traffic updates, im sire you can buy another arial to go with the tomtom so it can give you live traffic updates.

The speed camera updates is also gps, so it will warn you about fixed point speed cameras, it wont do radar.

jas-tec

14th Mar 07 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks for your help mate so wheres the best place to look it all up on thise make cheers
Adam C
Premium Member

14th Mar 07 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

halfords website is easy to use, or pop in to your local halfords and they can let you have a go on one of the display models.
so you can see which one you like.

jas-tec

14th Mar 07 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate thanks i be buying one tom at halfords the tomtom go710

1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

14th Mar 07 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought the 710 this morning, got it home and its not working properly. Trip back tomo
jas-tec

14th Mar 07 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit sorry to hear that was thinking of buying it tom as well mate

Adam-D

15th Mar 07 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tom-tom and garmin are the best 2 makes going,
1-l-p-b flip it over, there is a rest button hold that in with the power button, chances are itll kick back in,
they are a bit like pc's sometimes they need resetting.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » sat nav people 24 database queries in 0.0119810 seconds