corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » air filters for x16xe engines... not sure the drilled airbox is helping petrol consumption!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author air filters for x16xe engines... not sure the drilled airbox is helping petrol consumption!
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
13th Mar 07 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys.

Got a 1999 Corsa Sport, 1.6 x16xe.

When I had it, it was bog standard.. all it's got now is a catback exhaust and a drilled and de-restricted airbox with a K&N panel filter.

Tis no quicker at all really, just sounded mint before I had my exhaust but can't really hear the induction roar so much now...

Main concern is petrol consumption! Before when it was boggo it was doing 100 miles per tenner to a good average driving session (bit of nailing, bit of sensible) and now it's only managing 65 miles to a tenner. Getting expensive banging 60 notes a week in!

Been considering an enclosed filter, or a standard one again just de-restricted... few questions:

Performance wise will I be better just having a boggo one de-restricted but not drilled?

Will that help petrol consumption if so?

If I get an enclosed filter such as a BMC will it still have a good induction note aswell as enhancing performance? Will petrol consumption improve? Finally, whats the best for under 100 quid? Dont wanna spend too much.

Thanks
Scotty C

13th Mar 07 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am affraid fuel consumption will always go down when you de-restrict things, you cannot help that.

It'll be your exhaust more than anything causing lower MPG.

As for the filter, your best of getting enclosed one, as you said a BMC CDA.

Doubt it'll help fuel consumption though.
matt_aka_smiler

13th Mar 07 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to have a de-restricted airbox with a PX panel filter and it was fine but i changed it to a Ramair Maxflow sealed unit. cant imagine those mods making it drink fuel. If you want performance then change the inlet on it to a Lexmaul/mantzel/dbilas
Stokie Dave

13th Mar 07 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye thats on the cards too, got a thread elsewhere bout that one all in good time tho lol

did u notice much difference matt? hows it sound compared to you first setup?
matt_aka_smiler

13th Mar 07 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it sounds the same as a drilled airbox it feels smoother through the revs cost about £100 for it. i had to order it from hothatch corner. goes well with my dbilas too
Stokie Dave

13th Mar 07 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah i didn't notice you were local! lol, whats your car look like? may have seen it about.

i'll have pop up see what they can do for me s'only up the road (i live in blurton)

New Poll