corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 64 bit

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 64 bit
ed

User status: Offline
4th Feb 07 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 64 bit processor in my PC, I built my system be be able to run Vista on. It's come to the point when I will be buying my copy of Vista (this is not what the thread is about so fuck off) and I want to get my system running in 64 bit. But will I be shooting myself in the foot because there are no drivers about for it? Or will they start appearing this year?
Jules

4th Feb 07 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm gonna wait for SP1, apparently there are no 64 bit drivers that pass the MS auth thing (like when you install something now and it warns you that it's not passed the MS auth you can just skip it - apparently in Vista64 atm you can't - handy! )
ed

4th Feb 07 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really Does that happen with other drivers too? My graphics card seems to come up with that message when I install it, but I just tell Windows to ignore it.
ed

4th Feb 07 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am beginning to think I should have got a dual core 32bit too
John

4th Feb 07 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A quick google should tell you whether there are drivers for your components or not.

Afaik it's much much better than xp64 support was.
ed

4th Feb 07 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've ordered Ultimate in 32bit. However, as far as I'm aware it contains the software for a 64bit installation. If I am wrong then you can order a 64bit DVD from Microsoft... Will probably only need to do that in a few years time when some 64bit drivers actually emerge
Russ

4th Feb 07 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

64bit is here now, games are being developed with dual core and 64bit cpu's in mind, the driver support for vitsa will be just as big as for x86
James_DT

4th Feb 07 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I've ordered Ultimate in 32bit. However, as far as I'm aware it contains the software for a 64bit installation. If I am wrong then you can order a 64bit DVD from Microsoft... Will probably only need to do that in a few years time when some 64bit drivers actually emerge

AFAIK if you order either of the retail copies of Ultimate, it comes with both 32- and 64-bit versions on-disc but if you order the OEM you get the 32-bit OR the 64-bit.
topshot_2k
Banned

4th Feb 07 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct, might aswell get 64 as driver issues are being solved by the week
ed

4th Feb 07 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really? I have run XP 64bit before and the only devices I couldn't get to work correctly were my Photosmart 7150 printer, my Hauppauge WinTV card and my Sony DSC P93A. Everything else *should* work. I might change my order..........
topshot_2k
Banned

4th Feb 07 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

64 bit is now the way forward and driver issues will be the main focus now of manufacturers. TBH im waiting till the summer to get ultimate
ed

4th Feb 07 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had enough of Firefox, I want Explorer back. But I can't upgrade because of genuine advantage. I can't figure out how to hack it so Microsoft can have my money
DarkBahamut

4th Feb 07 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I'm gonna wait for SP1, apparently there are no 64 bit drivers that pass the MS auth thing (like when you install something now and it warns you that it's not passed the MS auth you can just skip it - apparently in Vista64 atm you can't - handy! )

Not completely true. Kernel mode stuff /has/ to be signed in 64bit vista, User mode stuff does not. Things like video card drivers are suppost to be user mode, which is why non WHQL drivers do install fine on vista 64bit.
John

4th Feb 07 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I have had enough of Firefox, I want Explorer back. But I can't upgrade because of genuine advantage. I can't figure out how to hack it so Microsoft can have my money

One registry file to sort this.

Vista comes with it installed anyway.
ed

5th Feb 07 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it that thing in Windows Defender? Tried doing the mods to it, but could never quite figure out what exactly I was doing. I couldn't find any other recent mods to get rid of Genuine Advantage. But I always intended to get Vista anyway hence using a fake copy of XP on my new PC when I built it...

New Poll