corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » re maps explained

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author re maps explained
SAL
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Jan 07 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i hear so many diffrent things about mapping so can we have some good imput and get to the bottom of this subject. i baffled with all the diffrent terms and types etc

[Edited on 25-01-2007 by stavs]
wrighty_1989

25th Jan 07 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically when a manufacturer releases a car into the world it has to be able to cope with many different demands in many different environments by many different users all "from the box". For example, the car has to cope with poor fuel quality, dusty environments, poor services and at the same time provide reliability and economy. This has meant that the manufacturers have in essence detuned the engines to cater for all this. So a remap programs your car to respond to your very own driving style

[Edited on 25-01-2007 by wrighty_1989]
SAL
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wrighty_1989
Basically when a manufacturer releases a car into the world it has to be able to cope with many different demands in many different environments by many different users all "from the box". For example, the car has to cope with poor fuel quality, dusty environments, poor services and at the same time provide reliability and economy. This has meant that the manufacturers have in essence detuned the engines to cater for all this. So a remap programs your car to respond to your very own driving style

so if you use good quility fuels, oil changes every 3k for eg and a genaral filter sevice every 5k and dont care about economy you can get a really good map done ? will this effect reliability then ?
wrighty_1989

25th Jan 07 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correct and no it wont effect reliabitly because a standered engine is designed to cater for all typed of driving syles i.e slow old people, trips down the road to feed the ducks and so on lol whereas is you get a remap it could be made to cater for your perticular driving style as long as you look after engine like you said oil change, good fuel and so on. it sounds like a lot but its not really i dont properly understand it to tell you the truth but thats the basics!

Robin
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

90% of the time it won't even affect your fuel economy that much.
wrighty_1989

25th Jan 07 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
90% of the time it won't even affect your fuel economy that much.

depends on if you have it remapped to go all out, all the time but otherwise wont make much difference to fuel economy like robin said!
SAL
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah ok, so if i only drive fast road some times then its not worth going all out on the map ?

broster @ jam sport quotted me £450 and red dot said will be 200-250 why is jamsport so much more ? is it diffrent maps ie diffrent companies software ?
Rob_Lee
Banned

25th Jan 07 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wont get a remap to suit your "own driving"

You'll get a remap to increase power etc
Robin
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stavs
ah ok, so if i only drive fast road some times then its not worth going all out on the map ?

broster @ jam sport quotted me £450 and red dot said will be 200-250 why is jamsport so much more ? is it diffrent maps ie diffrent companies software ?

I assume the red-dot one is just a flash remap, which will just be a map for a 1.6, not a 1.6 with the bits you have.

Jamsport (Chipwizards) maps are probably the best you can get for the money, they're done on a rolling road, exactly to suit the mods you have, unlike others, where they just use a standard 'remap' file.
SAL
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my freind had a map done at red dot and his car got rollig roaded 6 times before the mapping was finished, but he also said they just flash the ecu ?
Robin
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, a decent company (not saying red dot aren't ) will remove the ecu, solder a new chip in and do it properly.

The maps that Jamsport offer are far far better than a flash remap.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

25th Jan 07 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'flashing' the ecu basicly means they send the ecu a new map that isnt designed for your paticular engine. its a generic map so all 1.6 16v corsas that go in, no matter the state of tune will get the same map flashed into the ecu.

complete waste of time. either get a live remap (like jamsport offeres) or a dastek unichip. Unichips dont affect the ecu in any way, they basicly alter the signals coming in and out of the ecu to trick the engine into running how the mapper wants it to.

both are good and the same price although the benefit of the dastek is that lots of places can read and remap it, its 100% removable and the car can be put back to standard.
SAL
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dave a fair play now i understand this fully i now no what im looking for
X 60RSA

25th Jan 07 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would i loose my new map if i took the ecu out and left in unplugged for an hour, just wondering??
SAL
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dastek unichip dealers then ? how do i find them, done google search but there mostly up norf
Warren G

25th Jan 07 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stavs, i no someone who can raise the standard rev limit on the ECU for a small fee
SAL
Premium Member

25th Jan 07 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by warren.g
stavs, i no someone who can raise the standard rev limit on the ECU for a small fee

after the rr day i got the zorst re made to try and get some of my lost torque, noe thats sorted i need the full map due to the lexmaul my car looses power at 6000 so raising it wont do anything really as my power band is between 4 and 6 k

New Poll