corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » speedline centre caps dont fit????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author speedline centre caps dont fit????
corsa_sport_jay

User status: Offline
30th Dec 06 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have baught speedlines today for my corsa B 3 centre caps are on okish not perfect but theyer on! but 1 just keeps popping off? ! Are these just hard to get the centre caps on or is there something i should do? Anyone else had this problem? thanks jay
andys sxi
Premium Member

30th Dec 06 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive put sum silocone on mine but just have a screw driver or sumit u can take them off with if u need to get them off

April 08 feature car
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were do i put the silicone??? round edge of the centre cap?
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did urs pop off and that?
andys sxi
Premium Member

30th Dec 06 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they didnt pop off no just so they dont fall off when im drivin u got speedline aleisso's cus there is a little but on th alloy where the centre cap meets the alloys put it on there of the edge of the center cap

[Edited on 30-12-2006 by andys sxi]

April 08 feature car
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer! thanks
marklawton

30th Dec 06 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on my mates car it was the pin on the end of the driveshaft that was stopping his from going on so he just bent the pin i think and then it went straight on
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do u mean? PIN? i cant see a pin?
X 60RSA

30th Dec 06 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grind some material off the stub shafts, that might be your problem.

Or it might be the pin to stop the nut comeing off the stub shaft if its on the rear. You'll see a hole in the thread, if you dont have a pin, nothing to much to worry about. If you do, just trim the part of the pin that overlaps the end of the shaft.

I ground the thread back on the stub shafts and also ground a little out of the centre cap. Job done.

1 way to check what your problem is.....do the following. Coat the inside of the centre cap with a marker pen, black or blue and drive the car for a few hundred metres, remove the centre cap and check to see if any of the pen has rubbed off, if it has, you need to remove some material, from either of the above.

[Edited on 30-12-2006 by X 60RSA]
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wot u mean material? do u mean the grease cap?
X 60RSA

30th Dec 06 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've got grease caps on, take them off, or have you done already?
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i have bashed them in with a hammer! lol!!!!
X 60RSA

30th Dec 06 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take them off mate, dont advise bashing them in at all. They just stop dirt getting in the bearing, but the speedline centre cap does a good job in keeping it clean in there anyway.

Defineatly remove the caps, they might come off easy, if not, use some mole grips and go around with a screw driver an hammer, tapping and levering the grease cap out as you use the mole grips to pull, easier with 2 pairs of hands.

Then try the marker pen thing and see if its still rubbing.

Hammering the grease caps could damage the pin inside, if that breaks up, it will go into your bearings and feck them up!
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so they should fit when i take caps off?
X 60RSA

30th Dec 06 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_sport_jay
Ok so they should fit when i take caps off?

For some people they will, others not! But will make a massive improvement. Once you've taken the rear caps off, trim the pin back, it will be bent over the end of the stub shaft, this is the bit that will cause you problems, trim this off and just let the other half of the pin bend in towards the car. You need to make sure the pin cant twist around though. If it can twist, the bit that was bent in......when reversed will bend outwards and still catch your centre caps.....which will give you some metal filings in your bearings, made this mistake myself.

Remove them all, use marker pen, about 5mm worth around the hole on the reverse of the centre caps. Put them all back on, drive the car for 5mins, come home.....take them off and see if any of the pen has been taken off. If it has, the stub shafts or the centre cap will need a bit grinding off. Just keep doing this until after driving no pen has been removed at all.

If you do grind a bit off the shafts, try and get them level, might be easier just just take some out the centre cap to be honest.

[Edited on 30-12-2006 by X 60RSA]
corsa_sport_jay

30th Dec 06 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks mate

New Poll