corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Speedline Allessio 2's - centre caps on rear Corsa GSi hubs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speedline Allessio 2's - centre caps on rear Corsa GSi hubs
JayGemson

User status: Offline
4th May 04 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any of you guys running Allesio 2s on your Corsas, how on earth do you fit the centre caps on the rear wheels?

It seems that the bearing cover on the hub is sitting too far out, if you remove it the caps fit on fine. However, I dont want my bearings ceasing up so any advice would be much appreciated...
sunnyb

4th May 04 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spacers 5mm on front 3mm on back works a treat!
Stu_22

4th May 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just threw the caps away my bearings have been fine for about a year now its still pretty well sealed and every now and then throw a bit of grease at it
JayGemson

4th May 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough, thanks guys.
Greasemonkey

4th May 04 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what ya wanna do is keep the caps on and hammer them flat, they had to do this on my GSI hubs to fit my 17's and get the centre cap to fit
ainsley_brader

4th May 04 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for alessios you will have to tak the cap off altogether. Mine have been off for over 30,000 miles and i havent even greased them up since!
JayGemson

5th May 04 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks ainsley.
Greasemonkey

5th May 04 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to say this but them grease caps are there for a reason, i would never drive with out them, ya just looking for trouble, ya wheel bearings could fail at any point and ya gotta be prepared to change them oftern cos of all the shit thats gonna get in
ainsley_brader

5th May 04 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What shit? absolutely none. after 30k its still clean under the centre caps of the wheels. No shit can get in there perhaps some water if you parked in a foot deep puddle every night.
Change them often? Well i havent changed them for 30k so wouldnt call that often and those who know me know my car isnt clean living in the middle of lincolnshire and blatting up narrow roads to work every day.

The wheel bearings wont just fail they will cstart making a noise first. When they start making a noise i will change them simple as!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
5th May 04 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I removed my grease caps, I'm yet to inspect but I'm sure the centre cap on the wheel will keep it clean enough.

Prefereable to spacers IMO.
Greasemonkey

5th May 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i aint one to take that risk car manufacturers dont put them there for no reason
mav

6th May 04 at 03:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your taking a risk every time you modify something arn't you then??? thats off manufactures specs

Anyway I had to remove grease cover for my speedlines and Mas wheels.
Changed 2 rear wheel bearings after about 30k miles.......Other than that no problems. Bearings didn't just fail either then whined for a bit b4 I changed them.. I put some grease in them about every 2 months. Centre caps kept it all clean in there...
JayGemson

6th May 04 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with mav, ian and ainsley here. The speedline centre caps form a pretty tasty seal and greasing the offending area should be good enough to keep the bearings happy for as long as I'm going to own the car.

Cheers for the advice peeps.

New Poll