corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Graphics card problems...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Graphics card problems...
ALAN_MACAULAY

User status: Offline
8th Nov 06 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My computer's doing something strange, which I think is to do with the Graphics card.

When it is started up, the monitor comes on for about 5 minutes, then it appears as if the signal to the monitor has stopped, as it goes into standby mode. The PC still stays on and looks like it works normally. If I try to restart the computer once this has happened, at the power on self test, instead of the usual one beep to say everythings alright, it plays a tune

I had the case opened last night, and I think it might be an AGP card, as it has the little catch which closes over a tab on the card when it is slotted into place, then to remove it you press this key down and the card rises slightly. Is this AGP???

Finally, whats a decent graphics card out just now to replace it?

Cheers people
Dan B

8th Nov 06 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An AGP-slot, does yours look like this?

On the note of replacing it, what sort of budget are you looking at? And what's the current card?
ALAN_MACAULAY

8th Nov 06 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks familiar, so yeah it probably is.

Not wanting to pay much more than £50, its an ATI Radeon thats in it just now, which is the one that came with the PC, but since its shaged I may as well replace it with as good a card as I can.
Dan B

8th Nov 06 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£50 will get you a 128MB XFX 6600GT like this or, if you want to stick with ATI (I don't know much about them, never used them), you could get a 256MB Radeon 9550 like this...

Not sure what the ATI card is like, but the 6600GT cards tend to get good reviews for the price. It's not cutting-edge, but for under £50, you're not going to get a card that plays new games decently anyway...
ALAN_MACAULAY

8th Nov 06 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what sort of price am I looking at for a decent card? And what kind would it be?

I used to know what was decent in the computing world, but its been that long since I've had to look for stuff I don't know whats the best gear now.
Dan B

8th Nov 06 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a comparison, this is the card I bought almost two years ago now, that Scan look to be selling the remainder of their stock in. Given that AGP is pretty much becoming obsolete now, replaced by PCi-E, that's probably one of the better AGP cards they have for sale...

Of course, if you can get hold of a 7600GT (I don't know if they ever made an AGP-version, but you can check), that'd be a good bet.

If you're serious about gaming, however, I would seriously consider a conversion to PCi-E. It really depends how much money you can throw at it, though...
ALAN_MACAULAY

8th Nov 06 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw this PCi-E on some of the cards on those links, how recent is this? My PC is about 3 years old, whats the chances of it being compatible?
Dan B

8th Nov 06 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have an AGP slot in your machine, completely incompatible......it's a totally new type of graphics-card slot, to replace the AGP slot, so you'd need a new motherboard.
Cybermonkey

8th Nov 06 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the best AGP card for that price right now is the 7600GS. overclocks very nicely!!
Dan B

8th Nov 06 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheapest AGP 7600GS I can find is £77......was the £50 version from somewhere dodgy like ebay/ebuyer?
Cybermonkey

8th Nov 06 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

$77 sounds about right. will do you for Windows Vista, fully Hardware compatible

New Poll