corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MAss Air Flow Sensor/Meter

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MAss Air Flow Sensor/Meter
Seirrah

User status: Offline
21st Sep 06 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay so my car is once again suffering with engine issues, this time it's the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Now my vauxhall dealer is quoting my about £270 for this part (installed), whihc seems a lot!
I've noticed the part on ebay for about £45-50. I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether they've used one of these, and the results.

Also, does disconnecting the battery (and then reconnecting) act as a 'reset'. ie. if I fit the part and remove and the re-attach the battery, will it be back to business as usual?

Any hints and suggestions are welcome, no matter how obvious.

Thanks
dna23

21st Sep 06 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure the part you buy of ebay is a genuine GM one or at least a Bosch one I managed to pick up a GM one for £50 odd quid....

Simply discounnect the battery, leave it 15mins and install the AFM then leave it 15 more mins and reconnect the battery. This will reset your ECU and clear the fault code showing up because of the AFM.

Sam
Seirrah

12th Nov 07 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this reply is really old, but I'm still looking for a solution to this. I have flat-spots all the time, which are really obvious (and dangerous) when pulling off. The AFM was replaced, and the engine, reset, and it worked fine for a bit...but then it wasn't long before the problem returned.

I'm going to try resetting the ECU without changing the sensor to see what happens.
pow
Premium Member

12th Nov 07 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DO NOT USE EBAY ONES

Cured my holding back problem but created "misfire" style problems. Get a proper Bocsh one Code will be cleared without needed to remove battery IIRC.
Seirrah

12th Nov 07 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply. The item I used (ages ago) was a proper Bosch part. The part I took out had no signs of being proken in any way (although that's hard to tell).
So I have a Bosch Air-Flow sensor in my car...no faults on the dash....but flatspots ALL the time. Any help??

edit: not sure if what I have could be classed as a 'holding back' problem. I should add that when the effect happens the cars revs are also being held back, and then suddenly the power is back. You can feel it happen in all gears...but it's obviously more apparent in 1st and 2nd.

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by Seirrah]
pow
Premium Member

12th Nov 07 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats AFM trouble
Seirrah

12th Nov 07 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah. But when I replaced it before it wasn't long before it had the same stuttering problems. This suggests it was simply the ECU reset that temporarily improved the situation.

I'm going to disconnect the battery now to try it again. Is there any point also disconnecting the AFM or will the ECU always considering it 'new' after being reset?
eazy187

12th Nov 07 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used an e bay one. sorted it but its starting to play up again. ive put the standard filter back in (dirt retention oil can affect them apparently) and ordered another

New Poll