corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Upgrading a 1.4 16v to a 16 16v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgrading a 1.4 16v to a 16 16v
italianjob

User status: Offline
18th May 06 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the big end bearings have just went on my sport, so was just gona replace them, but ive also been offered a 16 16v engine for £350. if i replaced the bearings wud the engine be fine again or wud i have to take it easy and not drive too hard??
if i bought the 16 engine, wud it be a straight swap, or would the loom need changed?
i would appreciate any help here
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

19th May 06 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Straight swap, same mounts, same loom. But might be worth rebuilding the 1.6 while its out. don't wanna put another knackered engine in.

And after changing the big ends you would need to take it easy for a while.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
italianjob

20th May 06 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the ecu the same, or will it need changed over?? cheers mate
Ry_B
Banned

20th May 06 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's best to change the ECU, although from what I've read on here you can use the 1.4 on the 1.6
ainsley_brader

21st May 06 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the big ends have gone you need to be asking yourself why. Just banging another set in is rectyfying the effect not the cause. You probably have oil pump or crank issues there too. As such it may be easier to plump for the 1.6
supermike

21st May 06 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Straight swap my friend, just having my X14XE removed and getting a X16XE dropped in place of it. i got my engine off of carquipe uk or something, 400 bucks inc delivery under 40000 miles too, great bunch of guys, you can use the X14XE ecu as it apparently has the same maps and limiter etc

[Edited on 21-05-2006 by supermike]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

21st May 06 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

x14xe ecu's are different to the x16xe items. some of the later ones are the same but only on 1999/2000 manufactured cars. depending on which year they came out of the loom will be different as well. mainly the knock sensor system. the x16xe will run on an x14xe ecu but not 100% properly.

fitting new big end bearings wont require taking it easy either. bearings are basicly shells and the crank runs on a film of oil rather than in contact with the shell. take it easy for 50-100 miles yes, but no running in is required.

New Poll